Newbie going to switch soon, need some guidance

Reaction score
This is my first time posting here, so sorry if I broke any rules or am in the wrong section. Also, sorry for the long post O:)

I've finally decided to make the switch from Windows to Mac. All my life I've use Windows (and some Linux), but short of playing with them in stores I've never really actually USED a Mac. I did some searching and figured this would be the best place to come to for advice.

Making the switch: Obviously I am going to need to backup and copy my information. The issue here is half my funds for the shiny new 27" iMac is going to come from selling my current computer, and the files won't be available when I actually use the Mac. So my question is this - would it be possible for me to use an external HDD formatted with NTFS to backup my files now, then copy them into my iMac when the time finally comes?

Summary: can OS X read (write isn't necessary) NTFS drives?

Backing up: Assuming my first question is a yes, it's time for round two. Could I reformat the drive with whatever Mac uses after copying everything, then use it as a backup hard drive? More importantly, does OS X come with, or is there software available (preferably free, but under $20 max) that can be used to periodically backup everything to the drive?

Lastly, and most important - any tips for a first time Mac user? From what I've gathered, I would much rather be using a Mac than a Windows box, seeing as how most of what I do is media related (video/picture editing) and I'm a sucker for shiny.

Thanks! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
I have had my mac for about a year. You will be up and running in no time, but its the little things that I am still finding that just makes me glad I switched.

I spent time watching the Mac 101 and Switch 101 videos at Apple, which I found helpful. I watched them before and after I got my mac. I think there was another set somewhere, but I don't see them now.

Learn Expose and Spaces. I took me awhile to understand them. At first I didn't really like them, but that was a lack of understanding. I love them now. I find them very useful for work.

I can't remember what they are called, but the downloads and the documents folder on the Dock that expand are great. I can't believe it took me a year to get using them. I also launch a lot of stuff with just spotlight.

One thing I need to do is spend more time with utilities. I just haven't needed to because I haven't had any problems in over a year ;D

I love time machine for the ease of back ups. I also started using Carbon Copy Cloner so I would have a bootable back up. Being the computer I use for work, I wanted something I could boot.

I will be switching my parents to a mac later this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
any tips for a first time Mac user?

1. Onyx
Titanium Software
Get the version for the version of OS X you wll be running. And real the documentation for the app well.

2. Mactracker
mactracker.dreamhosters.com
Specification database of every Apple Macintosh model. From 1984 to the present. And updated often with the new releases. So when anyone asks you a specific question about your mac hardware you will have the answer in this app.

3. The missing manual series
The missing manual for: snow leopard, iwork, whatever else Mac related. My point is if you ever want a how to Macbook, look into the "Missing manual" series. They are some of the best how to books for Macs out there.

4. Apple - Mac OS X - Windows Compatibility - How Mac works with PCs
Apple - Support - Boot Camp
If ever you want to put windows onto your new Macintosh. These 2 links are very good reading in how this process done.

5. Apple - Mac OS X - What is Mac OS X - Time Machine
As the above has said but I am going to repeat the above's wise words on this cause it is something well worth looking into.
And also this link is well worth reading too.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/196606-backups-backups-backups.html

6. Do not use antivirus on your Mac. The OS X part of it. There is no need as there is no OS X viruses only some user initiated trogans that can be easily avoided. SO inshort on your OS X partition - avoid antivirus software like the plague.
But on your windows partition, treat that exactly as you would your old PC as it has the same vulnerabilities. But nothing will jump to the OS X side. Windows viruses stay on the windows side.

7. On the whole defragging is not needed on OS X. Some people defrag their OS X with the idefrag app. But for 99.9% of users it's just a very lengthy process for a result so minute you will not even notice it. This is because on the whole OS X is resistant to file fragmentation.
But like the above the windows partition will fragment in the same way your old PC did.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I have had my mac for about a year. You will be up and running in no time, but its the little things that I am still finding that just makes me glad I switched.

I spent time watching the Mac 101 and Switch 101 videos at Apple, which I found helpful. I watched them before and after I got my mac. I think there was another set somewhere, but I don't see them now.

Learn Expose and Spaces. I took me awhile to understand them. At first I didn't really like them, but that was a lack of understanding. I love them now. I find them very useful for work.

I can't remember what they are called, but the downloads and the documents folder on the Dock that expand are great. I can't believe it took me a year to get using them. I also launch a lot of stuff with just spotlight.

One thing I need to do is spend more time with utilities. I just haven't needed to because I haven't had any problems in over a year ;D

I love time machine for the ease of back ups. I also started using Carbon Copy Cloner so I would have a bootable back up. Being the computer I use for work, I wanted something I could boot.

I will be switching my parents to a mac later this year.

Those things on the dock for docs and downloads are "stacks." The Downloads stack I kept, after customizing the icon. I still haven't gotten too into it. It's a handy feature, but I don't really use it much.

I pretty much missed out on Leopard. I only owned a machine running Leopard for 3 months before Snow Leopard came out. My dad had Leopard on the machines I'd use, I had it on my Power Mac G5 for the 5 minutes before the logic board fried. But yea, being a year back into things in the world of modern OSes... I love it. Still expanding my uses for all of the various features. Stacks is one I just don't have much use for considering I don't deal with an incredibly high volume of content.

OP
TuxThePenguin
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the tips guys, you've helped a lot

I have another question - financially, it's going to be another month or two until I can afford the iMac I want (without a job right now :| ) so should I still pick one up when I have the funds? Or would it be better to wait until the next model is shipped and snatch that one instead?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which 27 inch were you going for? Because the i5 and i7 models are still amazingly ridiculous machines. :)

OP
TuxThePenguin
Reaction score
Darkest - probably the i5 or i7 models, seeing as how they both come with the HD4850. I'd only save $100 if I went with the C2D model and same same chip, and I get much more performance with the higher processors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I bought an i5 in February, and this thing is a screaming beast compared to my old C2D PC. I do some 3D scene rendering, and the quad definitely makes a difference.

OP
TuxThePenguin
Reaction score
Thanks again for the responses!

Another question - if I buy my iMac with 4GB RAM (2x 2GB), could I upgrade it to 8GB with another 4GB kit? It seems possible seeing as how you can have 8GB in the form of 4 RAM sticks, but that is waaaaaay to expensive at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
- if I buy my iMac with 4GB RAM (2x 2GB), could I upgrade it to 8GB with another 4GB kit? It seems possible seeing as how you can have 8GB in the form of 4 RAM sticks, but that is waaaaaay to expensive at the moment.

Pretty sure that's a yes. Confirm with Apple when you buy, but then buy the RAM later from somewhere else (OWC? online) because Apple charges much more for it. Of course, that means installing it yourself, but there are folks here who can "talk" you through it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 27" IPhone 4 IPad 2
The manual that come with your Imac has step by step instructions on installing ram with pictures. That makes it much easier for guys like me!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20'' IMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM
I'm anything but an expert with computers, so most things I do have to be pretty simple. That being said, I upgraded my RAM from the 2GB it came with to 4GB I bought online from crucial.com. It was a very easy thing to do and took 5 or 10 minutes. BTW I have a 20" iMAC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.