FTP Problems

C

CowellProdigy

Is it at all possible to FTP from a Mac to a PC because I've had no luck whatsoever! Im literally ripping my hair out. Please someone help me. Could anyone even take the time and go through a step by step process (Noob, you understand), I would be very very very grateful. Or if there is a tutorial, could anyone give me a link.

I've got the FTP software (Transmit) and the components I'm using are a Belkin Wireless Router, Mac running OSX 10.3.9 (I don't have an Airport, so I'm using good old network cables to connect the Mac to the router) and a laptop running Windows XP, however the laptop is wirelessly connected to the router. Would it be easier if I connected the laptop using cables?

I would like to control the FTP using the Mac rather than using software on the laptop.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
have you set your other machine to allow ftping into it?

also have tried to ftp by using the ip of the machine?

also try to set a small shared folder on the winblows machine and then try to access it via finder as a start point

OP
C

CowellProdigy

inflexion said:
have you set your other machine to allow ftping into it?

also have tried to ftp by using the ip of the machine?

also try to set a small shared folder on the winblows machine and then try to access it via finder as a start point

Ive tried that and still no luck. Im now trying to FTP from my Mac to my Xbox. I'm making sure the default gateway on the Xbox matches the Mac's IP address and all the passwords are correct. I've even tried linking the Xbox to the Mac using a crossover cable, and it STILL doesn't work! I've even tried using Safari, e.g. ftp://user : password@(xbox IP address) into the field and it still nothing....

Ive double checked everything. Has anyone had the same problem? Anybody, someone who can lead me in the right direction......

Thanx in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Do you have a ftp server setup on either of the machines? You have to enable ftp, plus turn off the firewall on the ftp port.

Reaction score
Make sure that port 21 is enabled (in the router) for the IP of the machine your trying to get to. Don't know anything about Xbox. In one message you mention laptop with XP and another Xbox, but I'm assuming you know how to enable FTP'ing to the Xbox, if indeed you can. If you're trying to FTP to your XP laptop then you need to turn on the FTP service in addition to what I mentioned above.

ed724

OP
C

CowellProdigy

Soz people.
I forgot to allow FTP on the Mac. No wonder it hasn't worked. Ive been concentrating on the complex stuff and completely forgot checking the box "allow FTP"

Soz bout that, but thanks anyway. :mac:

OP
C

CowellProdigy

Arghh! It still doesn't work!?!? Im intrigued in why it isn't working. I've decided to list all the settings of my Mac and my Xbox below:

Mac:
IP: 169.254.183.253
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
(using DHCP)

Xbox:
IP: 192.168.0.2 (Static)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 169.254.183.253

To connect both machines, I'm using a crossover cable connecting to the ethernet ports on either machine. Both machines allow FTP and all the firewall settings on the Imac have been turned off. I'm using the FTP program 'Yummy'.

Now please if anyone can notice any errors or problems with my settings or anybody who can help me please post!

Thanx, once again.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Well you have at least one problem. The two machines are not on the same subnet. Set the Mac to 192.168.0.3 Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. default gateway is unimportant since neither are an outbound router.

Then from your Mac, at a command prompt, type "ping 192.168.0.2" and see if you get a response. (<ctrl> c to stop it) . If you get a response the try and FTP. Keep in mind though, whatever machine you are trying to connect to using FTP will need to be running an FTP server. Windows XP pro does not come with one by default. I do not think the XBox has one at all unless you are running linux on it.

Good luck!

OP
C

CowellProdigy

Kokopelli said:
Well you have at least one problem. The two machines are not on the same subnet. Set the Mac to 192.168.0.3 Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. default gateway is unimportant since neither are an outbound router.

Then from your Mac, at a command prompt, type "ping 192.168.0.2" and see if you get a response. (<ctrl> c to stop it) . If you get a response the try and FTP. Keep in mind though, whatever machine you are trying to connect to using FTP will need to be running an FTP server. Windows XP pro does not come with one by default. I do not think the XBox has one at all unless you are running linux on it.

Good luck!

Thanks for that anyway, but literally after 2 seconds after submitting the post I noticed the subnet masks were different and changed them, and viola I can FTP!

P.S My Xbox is slightly different than others, if you get what I mean <wink wink>

Thanks for all the help, now I can rest easy :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.