external HD time machine error; now won't mount

Reaction score
I purchased an external hard drive as a backup for my macbook pro about a week ago. I didn't format it because it seemed to work properly as soon as i plugged it in. Time machine initial backup completed, plus i copied over 400Gb of files from another drive, and everything was fine.

Lately i'd been getting the error from Time Machine: "Unable to complete backup: an error while creating backup directory". Attempted to repair the disk in Disk Utility failed; received the message "The volume could not be unmounted". Ok, maybe I'll erase the drive and reformat it - but again, it failed to unmount the drive.

I tried restarting the computer, and now the drive was gone, it failed to mount, and continues to fail to mount after several tries.
Is this just a lemon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have found that if you use a drive specifically for TM it will work a whole lot better if
you use it for other files and such things can get messed up was the drive partitioned
for TM also is this all Mac since it is formatted differently than a PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.