Macbook Pro seems to be running hot?

Reaction score
I just got a macbook pro 13" 2.2 ghz today, and i'm noticing that the CPU is running about 55-58 C (138 ish Farenheight), which seems to be a little extreme? Except my macbook doesn't feel hot at all, slightly warm. And it just seems to be a little excessive for only having Google Chrome, Peer Guardian and uTorrent open.

I'm using smcfancontrol to look at my tempurates with the RPM set to about 2,500 yet i have set it to 3,500 and it made no difference at all. I tried to use CoreDuoTemp 1.0 but it doesn't work for 10.6

anyone might know what's going on, or a solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Take to look at http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...k-air-pro-overheating-what-do-i-do-guide.html
And no it isn't running hot at all, mine runs from 56-70 C depending on what I'm doing. And it especially goes up when I have a web-page open with Flash on it.
And one summer I gamed it to such a temperature that I couldn't have it on my lap, it was like a hot frying pan and I had red legs afterwards. (Through a Jeans)

I had the fancontrol installed on my mac as well, but after the upgrade to snow leopard I got rid of it.
I reasoned that my mac should be able to take care of itself regarding heat, and if I tried to outsmart the default apple set controlling mechanism with some program it could do more harm that good.

Additional details:
I forgot to mention that Mac OS X has a safety shutdown, if the temperature reaches a certain temperature the OS will make an emergency shutdown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Those temps are fine, macbook pros can climb into the 90's and still be ok. I would suggest you stop using smc fan control, because your just overworking your fans unnecessarily. The reason it only feels slightly warm is because they are built very well :)

(btw you should use smc fan control if you ever do reach the 90's, just to be on the safe side)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Edit:
commented on screen shot which I then noticed belongs to different thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You have to realize that most people are used to laptops with plastic coverings, which are somewhat deceptive because they can give a false sense of temperature based on touch(since plastic doesn't hold heat like aluminum). Even though the aluminum macs seem to heat up, it's not really any different from other laptop's heating source. It's just that the heat that starts from the processor and gpu get spread throughout the unibody enclosure instead of being trapped inside a plastic casing, and being forced out through vents. That's one of the reasons why the new unibody aluminums have very little vent openings(aluminum dissipates heat really well for it's price). Don't worry about it!

Edit: Using SMC to control the fan is useless because the computer knows when it needs to kick the fans to warp speed! Have a little more faith in your mac! I only use SMC to I can visually see the rpms, I don't touch the settings anymore. Just keep it on default and let it do it's thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
OP
K
Reaction score
thanks for the really fast responses. i'll go ahead and remove smcfancontrol for now. and i'll set it back to 2,000 rpm.

but did you mean in the 90's as in Celsius, or Farenheight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It wasn't me who posted that, but yes, 90's Celsius.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the really fast responses. i'll go ahead and remove smcfancontrol for now. and i'll set it back to 2,000 rpm.

but did you mean in the 90's as in Celsius, or Farenheight?

Surprisingly, celsius. Laptops can take an enormous amount of heat because there is so much power packed into a tiny space. But you will only reach those temps if you are running multiple intense applications at once

EDIT: lol you beat me to it 6string :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Righteous. Thanks for all the responses, it helped a lot. Makes me feel safer knowing that it can get a little hot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, don't worry about it unless you run some really cpu intensive applications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.