Boot Camp installed. My mac OS is gone? Only Windows shows??

Reaction score
I installed bootcamp, set my mac and my windows partition space, restarted my mac, and tried to install xp. However, it says there is only one partition, and if i install xp on it, it will harm the existing OS, which I'm assuming is my MAC OS.

So, I decide to remove the XP installation and reboot so I can go back into my Mac under my Mac OS and redo the boot camp. Problem is, I can't access my Mac OS. Not sure where it is.

I tried to reboot again, and as my laptop restarted, I held down the option button. When I did this I was only given one OS option, and it was Windows.

So where is my Mac OS and how do I access it? I know I didn't erase it, so where is it?? Help me please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
I don't like to be the bringer of bad news, but it looks like you have a serious problem here. I think it started when you said you made a partition. Something must have gone wrong, because
it says there is only one partition, and if i install xp on it, it will harm the existing OS

This means exactly what it said. You only have one partition when you installed XP, and you did indeed harm OS X. Simply removing XP will not solve the problem, because the damage is already done. The simplest way to fix this is to wipe you drive and do a clean install of OS X. I hope you have a back up of your files somewhere else.

You could also try to re-install the OS without wiping the drive, but i'm not to sure it will work. It's worth a shot though.

One last thing, don't read 100% into this advise, I'm just making an educated guess about what happened. Best of luck.

OP
M
Reaction score
How can my OS be gone after installing bootcamp from the apple site? according to what i read about the bootcamp, it won't erase my OSX. So maybe there is still hope. Im just very nervous and wanting help asap. I'm scheduled to speak with an apple tech tomorrow noon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
It didn't erase the OS X, but when you tried to install XP, the to OS's got mixed up and now OS X is unrecognizable. That's my guess. It's good that you have an appointment with apple people, because they will know a lot more about it then I do :) Again, good luck.

Reaction score
macuser80

Hi Macuser80

I have the same problem - did you manage to get this resolved with help from apple?
When i restart and press "alt" it nly shows the windows partition.

really stressed as all my work is on the mac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Jared, did you hold down Option? What shows? Did Windows install? If so what partition did you pick? You are supposed to pick the Bootcamp partition and then let Windows format that NTFS.

I have never seen the Bootcamp installer (it's just an installer) ever erase the OSX partition. Every time it's been the user picking the wrong partition.

Reaction score
Hi dtravis7,

No didn't hold down option key - i did choose partition bootcamp which i selected to 20gb - and then formated that partition.

Even when i select delete in startup it only shows windows partition.

Thanks for the reply bud...

Should i just hold down option key?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Under system settings in disk managment -

it shows 20gb NTFS and 426gb unallocated

Is this in Windows? If so, shut down Windows and reboot. Hold the Option Key down right after the Startup Sound. Keep it down till the startup manager shows. What do you see?

Windows can not read the Mac OSX formatted partition and will show unallocated.

It really sounds like you did everything correctly. When you install Windows it becomes the default boot up OS.

Also did you install the Bootcamp drivers in Windows using the OSX DVD? If so there is also a bootcamp manager in Windows by the clock and volume control. That will allow you to reboot into OSX.

Reaction score
thanks for all your help thus far matey -

I did go into bootcamp via windows and selected the option restart in osx and it just went straignt into windows again - also tried to change the boot disc to osx but it only showed windows.

It doesn't make sense cause i did everything by the book...?

Is there anyway i could retieve the data from my mac osx or is that gone :( ?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try booting holding down Option? Just being sure it's gone.

Reaction score
yes tried that :( - im not sure if it's just now reading my wirless keyboard keys - or something - tried several times - and there's no sound in startup. so what do you suggest is my next step

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before we get too carried away, let's try to do a PRAM-NVRAM reset. Go to this LINK and follow instructions. Then try booting into OS X by holding down the OPTION key.

Your OS X partition may still be intact so before doing anything else, try the above and get back to us.

I just noticed you stated that you're using a wireless keyboard. Do you have a wired keyboard handy? If so, plug that in to the USB port and use it instead until OS X is up and running again.

C

chas_m

"Normal"? (arches eyebrow)

Did you by chance mean a "PC" wired keyboard?

If so, that will work fine.

Reaction score
Hey guys - :( well tried everything but didn't work - reformatted my mac - but now i can't see my works server anymore...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you reformatted you start all over again firstly with Mac OS X, the print the BootCamp Assistance instructions and proceed from there. Let BootCamp partition the drive and 20GB is really not big enough.

Reaction score
Legend

Before we get too carried away, let's try to do a PRAM-NVRAM reset. Go to this LINK and follow instructions. Then try booting into OS X by holding down the OPTION key.

Your OS X partition may still be intact so before doing anything else, try the above and get back to us.

I just noticed you stated that you're using a wireless keyboard. Do you have a wired keyboard handy? If so, plug that in to the USB port and use it instead until OS X is up and running again.

You sir. Are a legend. Had this problem on my brand new Mac mini and I was crapping myself. I found this, took your advice and my computer is now fixed :D. Props to you, made this account to specifically Thankyou.

Reaction score
Hello jaredfranc!
Did you solve your issue? I am suffering on a similar issue. I actually formated my entire HD to a Apple format but even that did not work out. Let me know if you made some progress.
Best Regards, Stefan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.