Java in Firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5", 3.06 GHz intel Core 2 duo, ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256MB
Java is working is Safari, but it doesn't seem to be installed for firefox or google chrome. I have looked through the settings of both Chrome and Firefox and I can't find a place to enable. Any ideas why it would be on one and not the other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
You can't see this in the Firefox preferences?
Nbk8.Screenshot%202010-04-10%20at%208.14.15%20PM.png

And if it still doesn't work, make sure that the Java plugin is enabled in the Add-ons window:
1. Open the Tools menu, and click on Add-ons & Select the Plugins panel.
2. Click on the Java item to select it.
3. Click Enable. (If it says Disable, Java is already enabled.)
Even if Java is installed and enabled in Firefox, it may be blocked the NoScript plugin - For more information, see the NoScript FAQ

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found that screen, and it shows enabled. The java plugin is also enabled. Is NoScript automatically installed in firefox? I can't find how to access it.

I did just switch over, why is it that firefox on a mac would have that blocked, but on the pc it didn't?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I found that screen, and it shows enabled. The java plugin is also enabled. Is NoScript automatically installed in firefox? I can't find how to access it.

I did just switch over, why is it that firefox on a mac would have that blocked, but on the pc it didn't?
No, Noscript is not installed by default, you need to get it from the firefox addons page.
What version of Firefox do you have? I have 3.6.3 and Java doesn't seem to work either, although I know I have used it before in some previous version.
And I see that I haven't update Java for a long time now so, that could be a problem too, seeing Firefox 3.6+ needs at least Java 6 Update 15 to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Mac users are often stuck with buggy versions of Java. For whatever reason, Java on the Mac comes from Apple. Java on Windows, Linux and Solaris comes from Sun. Apple is always behind the curve, that is, they are late in releasing the latest versions of Java for the Mac OSX.
Nice, that could just be it. It seems like we have to wait till Apple brings out a Java version that supports Firefox 3.6+.
Why do you need Java anyway? I haven't seen webpage with a Java applet in ages.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 3.6.3 also. Hm... that's slightly annoying. A couple of online boardgames I like to play require Java, like ticket to ride online. I guess i'll have to use safari for now then.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found a fix for this. This link gives a plugin download that let's firefox use the new Java drivers. Unfortunately I can't find support for google chrome yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I am using 3.6.3 and I haven't had any problems. What sites have you been trying to view? You might try a fresh install of ff or java flash etc as maybe something has gotten corrupted, you've blocked something (?) or some other plugin that is necessary isn't loaded properly. I went to the site ticket to ride and everything ran ok...

what's your list of plugins for ff?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The plugin download got it working for me.
@Aqua: did you try and play an online game of ticket to ride? The site loads fine, but when I tried to load a game it wouldn't work. After installing the plugin it works great now, well, all except of google chrome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Sorry NyoGoat, I didn't want to sign up for it..

Keeping in mind I started with ff using Tiger and if ff wanted anything I downloaded it and so it's quite possible I fixed something when it happened and don't remember. I remember downloading and updating Shockwave player. You can also adust the players settings. I think I've done similar in the past as listed at the site below as my ff got corrupted so I reloaded but way back in ff version 2.0

Googling I found this Java Firefox 3 Mac OS X but read them all as there seems to be a few fixes here..

Hope you figure this out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.