iMac in the bin at this rate!

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I was in love with my new iMac until I discovered how it was difficult it was to connect it to a PC to transfer files. I even bought a crossover ethernet cable.

However no matter what I do, I get the message "The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

The Laptop and iMac are directly connected why can it not just be simple and they recognise each other?

Any help would be so very much appreciated!

Many thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am sure some of our smarter members will be able to solve this problem. But solving the problem requires a bit more information:

1. Which operating systems are involved here (on both the Mac and PC).
2. Do you have the firewall software turned on on either of the machines?
3. Have you tried this with a regular ethernet cable? If I am not mistaken the network hardware in the iMac is auto sensing so a crossover cable would likely be unnecessary.
4. Is file-sharing turned on for both the Mac and PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
For that matter - have you even setup IP addresses and/or confirmed that you can ping either system from the other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
I know it's kind of irrelevant, but if you have an external hard drive, it would be much easier to use that instead. What you're doing can get a little complicated sometimes, as the post's above already depict.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
You could use Microsofts files and settings transfer wizard to copy them to an external disk.

I assume you are running Windows on the iMac and that's the reason for the transfer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
This is tricky. I know I've done it and it worked flawlessly, but the set up with the IP addresses and firewalls was really byzantine and I couldn't do it again now. I did it wirelessly. I know you said you are doing it with a cable, but here are some pretty clear instructions connecting the two computers by creating a network.

How to connect to a Windows PC from Mac in a Network | PushkarArora.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
+1 to the thumb drive if you have all day to go back and forward with the thumb drive. Not the best method by far but that works.

Or you could buy an external hard drive, format it PC and use that to transfer all the files over then reformat it Mac and use it for Time Machine or soemthing else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
forget the crossover cable. use regular cat5 network patch cables, and network the two computers via a network switch. then drag and drop to your heart's desire!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I was in love with my new iMac until I discovered how it was difficult it was to connect it to a PC to transfer files. I even bought a crossover ethernet cable.

Maybe the problem is that it's difficult to connect a "PC" to a Mac. ;)
(For a Mac owner who just bought a "PC". It's a matter of perspective!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
I second the thumb drive... I just threw all my PC stuff onto a flash drive and slammed it in my iMac and I was good to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.