Please help, some virus is abusing my AIM contacts on iChat

Reaction score
Hi...

For a period of two weeks now, my friends have been complaining to me that I keep IM'ing them on aim with suspicious links citing 'free ipad, click here' or something to that extent. I must have contracted a virus of some sort and I cannot figure out how to eliminate it.

I use iChat exclusively for aim on my macbook, no other programs are installed.

Other details I can provide are:

1) It appears that these messages are sent when I am not even voluntarily logged on ichat myself. One friend noticed me sign on for 2 seconds, send him the message and sign off immediately.

2) On advice of an apple rep, I used the install disc that came with my macbook, clicked archive and reinstalled all of my Mac OS X applications

However, the problem still seems unresolved as my friend just again told me he got another message from me.

IF anyone can help me localize and eliminate this virus I would be very much appreciative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
It's because you don't have a virus. There are currently no viruses in the wild on the Mac.

What has probably happened is someone has hijacked your password thru some phishing scheme or has just plain hacked your account.

I'd suggest changing all of your passwords and see what happens.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.