best newsgroup reader

Reaction score
i'm a little new to the mac side and was wondering what is the best newsgroup reader ? i've seen a few around and didn't really want to waste my time with the bad ones...any help would be appreciated..thanks :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think Unison is the best newsreader I've ever used on any platform.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I like and use Thunderbird. It's free and has versions for Linux and Windows as well as OS X. The package also includes a fairly good Mail client.

To cwa107: Unison is indeed a good newsreader. I used Agent for many years while diddling around the groups in Windows. It was my favorite newsreader until they added so much fluff it became difficult (for me anyway) to use.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Is a newsreader the same as a RSS reader?
If so, I really like NewsFire, it looks like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Is a newsreader the same as a RSS reader?
No. Newsgroup Readers are nntp clients, not RSS clients. NetNewsWire and NewsFire are RSS clients.

Personally, I use MT-Newswatcher. Unison is probably nicer, but it costs money. Thunderbird is...well, a nice email client, but NNTP seems like an afterthought.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.