iPad Overheats Easily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And this is the screen you'll get if your ipad overheats. You should see it for a few seconds before it shuts itself off.

iPad_overheating.jpg

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.53 C2D, 7200 500 GB HD, 32GB 3GS, 32GB iSlate, Extreme, Express, Magic Mouse, BT Keyboard
YouTube - Problems facing with HTC HD2, Part 10 (Overheating issue it took me several hours to re-store).
YouTube - HTC HD2 music player stop after a few seconds
htc hd2 overheating problem
HTC Touch HD heating problem..... - FixYa

Without even trying I found that about the HTC HD2 having overheating issues. I'm sure if I looked further I'd find more. So if you have not found reports, look harder. And secondly this is not an Apple vs other tablet thread. So do not troll here ok.

You are comparing a youtube video by who knows who to a tweet from THE EDITOR OF PC MAGAZINE? I'm not trolling here pal. I was making a comparison of two devices that use similar processors, not Apple vs. another tablet. The HD2 is not a tablet, but uses a very similar processor. In one of the comments on your first video, it seems as if the author of the youtube video has modified it by changing the back cover.

Once again, I am stating my experience that is backed by reputable sources and not trolling. I have a MBP, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Magic Mouse, Apple Bluetooth keyboard, iPhone, and an iPod in the past. Needless to say, I enjoy Apple products.

But I am not a blind sheep that will just go along with the herd. I call a spade a spade. This is an issue backed by credible sources.

I would appreciate it if you would quit calling me a troll, leave the home brewed youtube videos at home, and also quit suggesting I am going off topic into an Apple vs. other tablets.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.53 C2D, 7200 500 GB HD, 32GB 3GS, 32GB iSlate, Extreme, Express, Magic Mouse, BT Keyboard
YouTube - Problems facing with HTC HD2, Part 10 (Overheating issue it took me several hours to re-store).
YouTube - HTC HD2 music player stop after a few seconds
htc hd2 overheating problem
HTC Touch HD heating problem..... - FixYa

Without even trying I found that about the HTC HD2 having overheating issues. I'm sure if I looked further I'd find more. So if you have not found reports, look harder. And secondly this is not an Apple vs other tablet thread. So do not troll here ok.

And after looking at a few more of the home brewed youtube videos, the issues are with the music player in that device. Please find some better sources when making accusations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Ok! So they can post their stuff, but I can't???? Seems pretty fair!!!!!!! I am clearly entitled to my own opinion!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Just tried it out side for the last hour and no problems here going inside now the rain will damage it if we get hail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Ok! So they can post their stuff, but I can't???? Seems pretty fair!!!!!!! I am clearly entitled to my own opinion!

Relax. You only posted accusations towards the OP which were totally irrelevant to the issue, and unwarranted to begin with. You didn't even bother to try and refute the issue with further accurate truth from a legit source. You only dismissed him as a troll without being open minded in the least.

If this continues to go off track, I'd not blame an mod for closing the thread again. Why can't these conversations just stay focused on the issues rather than get personal with people ? The OP clearly presented a serious issue which he claims to have experienced. Whether he really did or did not is something we have to either believe or not, but just calling someone a liar is hardly productive. Furthermore, he provided links which continue to explore the alleged issue. Right there, his information is a lot more credible than someone whom simply says " Troll!" "I believe nothing you say".

So let's get back to just facts, ok ? This is for the communities benefit, not to get personal nudges and punches in where possible. Be considerate.

Doug

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I am happy to report that my replacement has yet to overheat in the sun while taxing the CPU more then my experience yesterday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Well I am happy to report that my replacement has yet to overheat in the sun while taxing the CPU more then my experience yesterday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Must have been a bad one....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
It may very well be there is a problem with the batch that was sent to the Apple store where the OP picked his up. We've all seen issues with Apple products and particular batches, especially with 1st gen devices.
That being said I've used mine inside and outside for hours. I have not experienced any over heating issues with mine and it is used in the Apple case that is sold by Apple. Having the iPad in the case should incease the heat levels even further. I would think if this was a design flaw that all of the devices would have the particular problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

I'll keep mined crossed too. Good luck with it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Was that taken in the refrigerator?
Yes I believe so.

And as many others said this topic is about the ipad overheating. Not about any other secret anti-apple agendas or fanboyisms. Just people trying to get a solution to their ipad problems.

And to bigdawg737:
Any editior of a magazine would have bias. Like any reporter does. But they might have credible sources too mind you. But the youtube videos are video proof of an issue. Ignore the video proof if you want to but the rest of us will listen to the evidence at hand and enjoy talking about it.

So enough of this or I suggest the mods lock the topic and just have a locked sticky issue that is updated (with links) when more information is at hand.

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been said but I have some insight as to how hot surfaces can become even in "moderate" ambient temperatures. Detailing cars and working on roof's has taught me even a mild day can produce some burning surface temperatures.

I used to be quite obsessive about keeping my car's clean. Particularly my black Mustang. Loved that car. But if you know anything about waxing cars you should know not to do it in the sun, because the car's surface gets too hot and the wax dries up quickly, making it near impossible to wipe off.

On a 75 degree day in direct sunlight the surface of my black car reached 120 degrees F. This is after only 20 minutes of sun, and I know this cause I'm crazy. I timed it and used a temp gun.

I'm speculating but I imagine the surface of that black bezelled glass Ipad would get nice and toasty. On an 85 degree day I can definitely see the surface of the Ipad reaching 113 degrees in direct sun. In the shade? Its a crap shoot. Lots of variables there. Reflective light or a breeze can change those numbers significantly. So even if its a "moderately" warm day I would urge caution to my fellow Ipad owners.

Sorry to hear about the OP's problems. Definitely sounds like your first Ipad was defective. Don't underestimate the power of the sun. :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I believe so.

And as many others said this topic is about the ipad overheating. Not about any other secret anti-apple agendas or fanboyisms. Just people trying to get a solution to their ipad problems.

And to bigdawg737:
Any editior of a magazine would have bias. Like any reporter does. But they might have credible sources too mind you. But the youtube videos are video proof of an issue. Ignore the video proof if you want to but the rest of us will listen to the evidence at hand and enjoy talking about it.

So enough of this or I suggest the mods lock the topic and just have a locked sticky issue that is updated (with links) when more information is at hand.

Your videos are off the topic and not accurate. I already stated that the first one is of a modified device and doesn't really say or prove anything. The first comment suggests he modified the back which acts as a heat sink. The second video is in regards to the music player crashing the phone, not the CPU.

Lock the topic, clear it, ban me from this forum, I could careless? I was stating an issue I had with a device that wasn't acceptable. It was backed by credible sources. There is proof. I didn't take those pictures of all the triangles of death. Other people did, so I am clearly not alone. I used accurate comparisons of similar CPU's, and have remained on topic. You are going off topic with home brewed videos that are unrelated. I seek truth and accept truth regardless of whether I like it or not. I don't accept apples for oranges as your evidence has thus far shown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No more ok. If you want to go on more about this, PM me and do not spam up the forums with it ok.

You have your opinion with your proof as do I. And we've both said enough I think on off topic matters. Just like your post above is very off topic.

Reaction score
Well here is my experience. I do art shows and for the past three days have been using my Ipad as a portfolio. I kept it in it's leather Incase cover and used a locked tabletop easel set on a table. I had set up a revolving slideshow with music and turned it on at 10:00 am until 4:30 pm each day. This was on battery power in Arizona..in 70 to 82 degree temps..sometimes in partial shade ...sometimes direct sun. I got hot in the late afternoon even with shade! My only problem was the screen glare. At the end of the day when I turned it off I certainly did not notice it even being hotter than when it was first turned on hours ago. If there was a temp increase it would have been very little. Remember it was housed the entire time in a thick, folded open, leather case. With several hours running video plus speakers set at highest volume.
Perhaps some Ipads are having problems in this area...with so many sold bound to experience some with problems. And yet there will always be some people who create problems with a product because of lack of common sense or out of spite because of a perceived slight against a product brand(because they want to see it fail).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To anyone who may have taken offense to my posts, please accept my apologies. As I stated, I have as many mac products in my stable as possible and enjoy their products. I was bringing attention to an issue that has been seen by other reputable sources. Just a little precaution.

My current iPad seems to be up to snuff and as amazing as expected.

My previous experience was true and I'm guessing just a bad unit. My advice at this point is to do a simple heat test by using it in moderate weather with a little common sense. Please don't put it in the oven or on asphault in the sun. Putting a toasty iPad in a refrigerator probably isnt wise either! :) Like others have stated, frequently first batches of devices have a few glitches. This one is known and is easily just a small percentage of units. I must have been a glitch in the matrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.