Question about BT keyboard and IPAD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have been reading reviews online stating that the BT keyboard does not work with the iPad, while others say that it does work! I was just about to go buy it so that I could use it on the ipad and mbp, but now I am completely unsure! Anyone know? I mean, it even says 'iPad' on the minimum system requirements section, on apple's site for the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
I haven't been able to sync my keyboard with it yet so maybe it doesn't. Not completely detrimental, but it would be nice as I prefer the physical keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Straight from the Apple iPad page

Wireless

With built-in 802.11n, iPad takes advantage of the fastest Wi-Fi networks. It automatically locates available Wi-Fi networks, which you can join with a few taps. iPad also comes with Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, letting you connect to devices like wireless headphones or the Apple Wireless Keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.53 C2D, 7200 500 GB HD, 32GB 3GS, 32GB iSlate, Extreme, Express, Magic Mouse, BT Keyboard
The bluetooth keyboard works perfectly with the iPad. It is also great for a MBP. Between the size, function, and cost, the Apple bluetooth keyboard is the best out there. It weighs nothing. Buy it and enjoy!

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I actually did just buy it! =) I cant believe how thin it is!! It's beautiful!! =] I wish it had a backlit keyboard like my mbp, and I also wish the keys were black. It looks kinda weird after being used to black keys…then bam…white keys…it's like WOW!!

Kash, I knew that that it said it was compatible to the ipad via the ipads website and also from the keyboards site. I've been reading reviews saying that people's ipads could see the keyboard and sync with it, but not be able to actually use it. I guess I will know definitively next week when my ipad gets delivered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 Quad, 27", 8GB mem, 1TB disk, USB numeric keypad
Apple BlueTooth keyboard works on iPad

I have used my Apple BT keyboard (the new one that came with my iMac 27" last November), on the iPad and it works. There are two (minor?) issues:

1) The iPad needs a stand or case, whether you use the internal keyboard or the external BT. I have it on order from the Apple Store.

2) Once you turn on BT on the iPad and connect to the BT keyboard, the iPad no longer displays the touch keyboard. Turning off the BT keyboard does not cause the iPad to return to the touch keyboard; you have to disable Bluetooth on the iPad settings. It would be nice to have both types of keyboard work together, i.e., if you walk out of BT range the touch keyboard ought to return.\, or, better yet, be able to easily switch back and forth using a simple touch of some kind.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Thanks a lot for that info!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
2) Once you turn on BT on the iPad and connect to the BT keyboard, the iPad no longer displays the touch keyboard. Turning off the BT keyboard does not cause the iPad to return to the touch keyboard; you have to disable Bluetooth on the iPad settings. It would be nice to have both types of keyboard work together, i.e., if you walk out of BT range the touch keyboard ought to return.\, or, better yet, be able to easily switch back and forth using a simple touch of some kind.

Here's your answer. :)
10 essential iPad tips and tricks - Gizmodo- msnbc.com
Hit the eject key on Apple's physical keyboard. It'll bring up the virtual one.

NOTE: This info is also in your iPad user guide. Page 137 in the online pdf. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPad_User_Guide.pdf
Onscreen Keyboard Doesn’t Appear
If iPad is paired with a Bluetooth keyboard, or if it’s connected to the iPad Keyboard Dock, the onscreen keyboard does not appear. To cause the keyboard to appear, press the Keyboard key on the Keyboard Dock, or press the Eject key on a Bluetooth keyboard. Disconnecting the iPad Keyboard Dock, or moving the Bluetooth keyboard out of range or turning it off, will also allow the onscreen keyboard to appear.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info... I picked up a Apple Wireless Keyboard yesterday and look forward to hooking it up to my Ipad. I already paired it to my Macbook Pro and it works great. I will update once I pair it to my Ipad.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Thanks for the info... I picked up a Apple Wireless Keyboard yesterday and look forward to hooking it up to my Ipad. I already paired it to my Macbook Pro and it works great. I will update once I pair it to my Ipad.

My bluetooth keyboard is working nicely with the ipad…though I don't really need it because I also got the keyboard dock for it. The only problem with the bt keyboard is that you have to unpair it with the mbp first, then pair it with the ipad. There doesn't seem to be an easy switch, or at least I haven't found that method yet.

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I work for a company that makes a bluetooth keyboard.
ours will work for the ipad and the iphone when OS 4 comes out.
no additional software is needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.