How can I copy to my hard drive?

Reaction score
I had two different computers back up on an external hard drive. Two combine the itunes libraries, I want to upload both itunes music folders to my laptop, delete duplicates, and then just delete the two old libraries on my external.

I'm trying to do this with Carbon Copy Cloner. Unfortunately, if I select the external as the hard drive, I cannot choose the laptop I'm using as the target volume. Why not? Any way around this?

thanks!

Reaction score
Carbon Copy Cloner probably does not want to clone on to the booted volume.
CCC may not actually be the best tool for just copying individual folders, although I can't think of any of the folder sync type programs available at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I had two different computers back up on an external hard drive. Two combine the itunes libraries, I want to upload both itunes music folders to my laptop, delete duplicates, and then just delete the two old libraries on my external.

I'm trying to do this with Carbon Copy Cloner. Unfortunately, if I select the external as the hard drive, I cannot choose the laptop I'm using as the target volume. Why not? Any way around this? That would be the easiest way.

thanks!
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you want, it sounds like you just want to transfer files back to your laptop hard drive from your external? Is there some reason why you don't want to do a simple drag and drop the files/folders onto your laptop's hard drive when the external hard drive is connected?

As for deleting duplicates, someone might know of an application that might do that for you but if they are all in the same folder then you can manually delete them yourself. It will take some time but it's easy enough to do. Sorry I don't know of any other easier way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.