Parallels 4 on Mac to run WinXP

Reaction score
I did the boot Camp to install WinXP on a new partition

Then I installed Parallels 4 and now parallels is REinstalling WinXP on the virtual machine... am I doing something wrong???
Why did I install WinXP to a new partition if I am going to just reinstall it on a virtual machine.

I am a bit lost, could someone tell me where I went wrong?

Thank you

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Well what was your intension? Did you want to run WinXP natively on the Mac or through a VM?

I believe Parallels allows you to convert a boot camp installation to a VM version..

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Parallels 4.0 and previous versions allow for using the Boot Camp installation as a VM. There is no need to reinstall XP. Make sure you read and understand what's in the help in order to setup the BC partition as a VM.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
unmade thing

Most important then is if I set up the Parallels to use my Bootcamp as the VM, then if I run the VM and make changes to anything (documents, updates, desktop, whatever...)

Then on a reboot, if I boot into the WinXP partition, will those changes exist?

More simply put, the VM and the Partition are one in the same?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
More simply put, the VM and the Partition are one in the same?

Let's define it better: The installation of XP will be the same. The virtual software (Parallels) will use the already existing BC partition and treat it as it would if it were created in the VM. As I stated above, you need to do some reading in the Parallels help and instructions.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.