Upgrade HD - Restore Snow Leopard Backup w/ Leopard Install Disc

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a new hard drive that I want to swap on my Macbook Pro. I'm running Snow Leopard and have a backup on an external HD using Time Machine.

I cannot find my original Snow Leopard install disc, the only disc I can find is plain Leopard from the box. The question is, can my plain vanilla Leopard install disc restore a Snow Leopard backup?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't have a clue if that would work or not.

An easy way to do it, if you do not need all the previous files that have ever existed on your machine since starting Time Machine, is to grab SuperDuper! (my recommendation) or CarbonCopyCloner and create a clone - a new bootable backup of your current system to the external drive. Yes, this will erase the TM backup.

Reboot your machine to that external drive and use it for awhile to make sure the backup is ok. Then change out the internal drive, boot to the external again and use the same software to clone the external back to your new internal.

C

chas_m

Cheaper, faster and easier solution -- buy another copy of Snow Leopard (and try not to "lose" it this time).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.