Opened Up A Virus Link...

Reaction score
...through google.

the kind where it says you are infected and they want to run a virus scan for free.

this is the first time this has happened since i have had a mac.

in the windows days, i would clean everything up, run a malware and virus scan.

i forced quit firefox, cleaned out history and everything seems ok....

worry or not???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not worry and check out similar threads that have appeared in recent days. Just an attempt to sell junk software. Go into your browser Preferences and make sure 'block pop-up windows' is selected.

Now just think about that virus scan they want to run. What definitions would the program use as there are no Mac OS X viri! These are Windows harem scarem sites.

OP
R
Reaction score
Do not worry and check out similar threads that have appeared in recent days. Just an attempt to sell junk software. Go into your browser Preferences and make sure 'block pop-up windows' is selected.

Now just think about that virus scan they want to run. What definitions would the program use as there are no Mac OS X viri! These are Windows harem scarem sites.

i gotcha...as it's the first time it's happened, i kinda freaked! for three months now - no virus updates, no scans, no nothing but computer play time. i had forgotten how crappy it was to get a bug.

that's what finally pushed me over to macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yea, owning a Mac doesn't make you immune to seeing the attempts to trick people into downloading stupid stuff. It just means that the malware won't self install itself on your machine. You could still download and install (with your admin password) malware. Still gotta have some smarts about what to install and what not to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Since you have a Mac, it's a case of something that's too bad to be true. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.