A connection was established but is not a reliable connection and was terminated.,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 867MHz 1.25GB 60GB+80GB DVDRW Zip250 Leopard
"A connection was established but is not a reliable connection and was terminated."

PowerPC 7100/66
Mac OS 7.5.5
NCSA Telnet/FreePPP
Connected to a 10/100 Windows ethernet network via a MacSense Nubus RJ45 ethernet card.
Connected via 3Com 10/100 hub.

I can see the Windows 2003 R2 Server.

Please -- what's my problem?
Is it the Cat5 cable?
I think it's "straight through".
Do I need "crossover" cable?

hanks,
Joe

Reaction score
Thought I would get to you before the nay sayers ask why your messing with a 7100?. You need to set up like a Lan with a hub. Check that Apple talk is on. What browser are using..thats where your going to have issues. Try to find a PPC version of Icab or Opera. This would set up easier in OS9.

OP
joeq
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thought I would get to you before the nay sayers ask why your messing with a 7100?. You need to set up like a Lan with a hub. Check that Apple talk is on. What browser are using..thats where your going to have issues. Try to find a PPC version of Icab or Opera. This would set up easier in OS9.

Thank you for your response.

I'm retired and had the 7100 yb storage so I thought I would make it a "project".

Once upon a time it worked in this configuration.

I don't get to the point of launching the browser, which is Netscape btw.

The error message comes from trying to make. the NCSA Telenet/FreePPP connection (which has to be established before launching the browser).

Is a 'straight through' cat5 cable correct?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Yes a Reg. Cat 5. The Mac has to see the Hud as an Appletalk network. Earlier versions of Netscape now lock up on the web...I do use Netscape 7 in OS 9.1,sometimes their are issues at some sites. The thing about Opera is it can be set to text only. The group of extensions called Open transport have to be on. In the TCIP your going to need to change the connection to Ethernet. Just try hooking the DSL or cable modem to the Network.

You do realize its going to be very slow and you will not be able to view sites with Flash content..etc.

OP
joeq
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes a Reg. Cat 5. The Mac has to see the Hud as an Appletalk network. Earlier versions of Netscape now lock up on the web...I do use Netscape 7 in OS 9.1,sometimes their are issues at some sites. The thing about Opera is it can be set to text only. The group of extensions called Open transport have to be on. In the TCIP your going to need to change the connection to Ethernet. Just try hooking the DSL or cable modem to the Network.

You do realize its going to be very slow and you will not be able to view sites with Flash content..etc.

Thanks again for responding.

All the settings you mentioned are set as you said
I'll install Opera but the problem seems to be in the Telenet layer.

Speed is no problem. I just want to connect.

Am I in a hopeless situation?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Thanks again for responding.

All the settings you mentioned are set as you said
I'll install Opera but the problem seems to be in the Telenet layer.

Speed is no problem. I just want to connect.

Am I in a hopeless situation?

Thanks!

The Tell net drivers are to old in 7.5. I would upgrade to 9.1 and the connection would be automatic. You may have better luck with a dial up modem. Fastermac.net will still connect 7.5

OP
joeq
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Tell net drivers are to old in 7.5. I would upgrade to 9.1 and the connection would be automatic. You may have better luck with a dial up modem. Fastermac.net will still connect 7.5

Thanks again for your help -- I appreciate it!

I'm starting to think of throwing in the towel on this project and not sink any more money into it.

Regards,
Joe

Reaction score
Thanks again for your help -- I appreciate it!

I'm starting to think of throwing in the towel on this project and not sink any more money into it.

Regards,
Joe

You may just need a clean install of Free PPP. I see global Village modems at the Thrift store all the time like $2.00. I guess you can still download the modem scripts. Or just look in the modem scripts folder and find a modem to match. I see no real reason why it want connect throw ethernet other than the settings are not right or ppp is corrupt.

OP
joeq
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may just need a clean install of Free PPP. I see global Village modems at the Thrift store all the time like $2.00. I guess you can still download the modem scripts. Or just look in the modem scripts folder and find a modem to match. I see no real reason why it want connect throw ethernet other than the settings are not right or ppp is corrupt.

I installed FreePPP 2.6.2 -- same problem.

AppleTalk is trying to use Generic Modem.
I don't see how to set it to the ethernet card.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I installed FreePPP 2.6.2 -- same problem.

AppleTalk is trying to use Generic Modem.
I don't see how to set it to the ethernet card.

Thanks!

In the Appletalk control panel change the connection to Ethernet.

OP
joeq
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the Appletalk control panel change the connection to Ethernet.

Thanks!

I have it set to Ethernet Slot 3 (where the MacSense ethernet card is instlled).

But when it's try to connect it uses Generic Modem.

????

Reaction score
There has to be a MacSense driver or control panel for the card..check the settings. I havent messed with Free PPP in a long time I would have to crank up my SE30 with 7.5 on it and see the set up. To bad your Mac is not two years newer it would of had built in Ethernet. Ok you changed the connection in the pull down menu on the Appletalk control panel..close the panel and restart.

OP
joeq
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There has to be a MacSense driver or control panel for the card..check the settings. I havent messed with Free PPP in a long time I would have to crank up my SE30 with 7.5 on it and see the set up. To bad your Mac is not two years newer it would of had built in Ethernet. Ok you changed the connection in the pull down menu on the Appletalk control panel..close the panel and restart.

MacSense says it uses the Apple EtherTalk driver. I don't see a 'Network' line in Control Panels and don't know how to check if I have Open Transport.

Thsnks again for your support.

Regards,
Joe

Reaction score
MacSense says it uses the Apple EtherTalk driver. I don't see a 'Network' line in Control Panels and don't know how to check if I have Open Transport.

Thsnks again for your support.

Regards,
Joe

Open the extension manager and see if open transport is on. It should be in the list with a check mark next to it.

OP
joeq
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open the extension manager and see if open transport is on. It should be in the list with a check mark next to it.

I don't see 'Open Transport' there at all.

I see a "Open Sesame Extension' in the Extensions section.

What about no 'Network' entry in Control Panels?

:)

Reaction score
I don't see 'Open Transport' there at all.

I see a "Open Sesame Extension' in the Extensions section.

What about no 'Network' entry in Control Panels?

:)

Look in the Extensions Disabled folder..if its there click on it and drag it to the Extensions folder. Look in Apple Extras folder...search any folders on the HD for it. Networking will not work with out Open Transport. There should be a TCP/IP control Panel. The one FreePPP installed. You may have MacTCP.

Reaction score
You may not have Open Transport as it for PCI Macs. It is Powermac native and is Version 1.1. Before Open Transport Appletalk was the native networking language.

The Ethertalk drivers for your card should be in the extensions folder. And yes there should be a Network control panel. All this came from the 6th edition of the Macintosh Bible..I no longer have a OS 7 version.

OP
joeq
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may not have Open Transport as it for PCI Macs. It is Powermac native and is Version 1.1. Before Open Transport Appletalk was the native networking language.

The Ethertalk drivers for your card should be in the extensions folder. And yes there should be a Network control panel. All this came from the 6th edition of the Macintosh Bible..I no longer have a OS 7 version.

I didn't find Open Transport anywhere BUT in the Apple Extras folder I found Network Software Selector. I opened it and it had 2 choices Classic Networking and Open Transport. OP was chosen and in the lower left it said OP was on.

For grins I changed to Classic Networking and restarted.

In Control Panels AppleTalk and TCPIP disappeared and MacTCP and Network showed up.

I pointed everything to the ethernet card.
I could NOT enter a gateway address in MacTCP.

When I launched Netscape got the same error trying to use Generic Modem.

I may be wrong but this feels like progress.

Yes? No?

Reaction score
Yes I was just about to post about the Network Selector its in 7100's and choosing Open Transport makes the TCP/IP control panel invisible. In the modem control panel there is a drop down menu:Connect via. Change it to ethernet. The thing is open transport will fill in the server IP automatic and Free PPP you have to input the server info your self. If you use Open transport you do not fill in Free PPP. Thats why it disappears.

If you use Open Transport open the AppleTalk control panel and Connect via Ethernet. If you use FreePPP open the Network control panel and choose Ethernet or Ethertalk..

Open Transport is more modern than FreePPP and will work better.

Your Ethernet card has to be working and the drivers for it in the extension folder. Make shure an extension called ARose is in the Extension folder it lets Nubus cards work in OS 7.5.

OP
joeq
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I was just about to post about the Network Selector its in 7100's and choosing Open Transport makes the TCP/IP control panel invisible. In the modem control panel there is a drop down menu:Connect via. Change it to ethernet. The thing is open transport will fill in the server IP automatic and Free PPP you have to input the server info your self. If you use Open transport you do not fill in Free PPP. Thats why it disappears.

If you use Open Transport open the AppleTalk control panel and Connect via Ethernet. If you use FreePPP open the Network control panel and choose Ethernet or Ethertalk..

Open Transport is more modern than FreePPP and will work better.

Your Ethernet card has to be working and the drivers for it in the extension folder. Make shure an extension called ARose is in the Extension folder it lets Nubus cards work in OS 7.5.

Thanks!

I reverted back to Open Transport.

I no longer have a Modem Control Panel so I don't see how to re-direct connecting through ethernet.

I couldn't find a/rose anywhere and couldn't find it with Google (not even on apple.com).

The ethernet card seems to be working as I can access the Win server. I installed the MS UAM client on the 7100 so that's why I can access the MS UAM Volume on the server. The MacSense literature says that the card uses the EtherTalk driver so there are no MacSense drivers for the card. There is a 'EtherTalk Phase 2' in the Extensions Folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.