• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Linux on the Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am running a Powerbook g4 1.5ghz and 1 gig of ram. I want to put Linux on it but I am having issues. I also want tiger, so I want to partition my drive. Well to install linux the linux I have talks about booting from the cd, but it won't boot from the cd. In the help file is says about dual booting with windows but does not say anything about dual booting with osx. Any suggestions.

If you don't know how to solve my problem yet have a mac with linux on it as a primary or dual boot operating system share your expeirences.

A

Aarow

I won't be able to help, but the people that can will probally want to know what distro it is:).

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh good idea, thought I included that in there. it is "mepis" its a free version I found on linux.com.... i didn't want to buy a more expensive version until i was sure that linux would work well on my mac, or that I had a good reason to have it... as of right now I am just fooling around.

K

Kokopelli

I did not know Mepis even had a PPC port. Are you sure you got the PPC version (assuming it exists) and not the x86?

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kokopelli said:
I did not know Mepis even had a PPC port. Are you sure you got the PPC version (assuming it exists) and not the x86?

I thought I did.. Maybe I should go back and look again. Probably should of checked that before I started a forum. If that is the case, what a mistake I made. I will let you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea i didnt know that there was a ppc version and there site doesnt mention one so i think that you might have got that one wrong.

If you want the penguin though try Ubuntu or Yellow Dog as they are two highly rated distros at the moment and there is a PPC live CD for Ubuntu as well ;)

S

SErgini0

Give me your e-mail and I could send you the Mandriva (mandrake) 2005 limited edition DVD for PPC. A friend has installed it, looks and works fine!

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Holding out a couple days before putting linux on my system, I have alot of school things to do..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.