Help! With Software updates

Reaction score
Everytime i try to open software updates the icon bounces in the dock and immediately closes. Even when i attempt to open it from system preferences it says: Could not load software preference pane. Please HELP! Without help i cant open my itunes or my safari :Shouting:
Thankss:)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Until someone else comes along with a solution. Trying running disk utility and repair permissions.

It appears something was changed.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also open your user folder (Home) and look inside the Library\Preferences folder for a folder called com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist Drag that file out to somewhere else like the Desktop. Log out of your account then log back in and run Software Update. If it runs correctly you can delete the original file that you moved.

OP
O
Reaction score
okay so i tried opening the file, logging in and trying to run it, but it just bounces in the dock and shuts right off! Please any other suggestions?:(

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sorry I didn't make that clear. Don't try to run the file just drag it out to the desktop or somewhere else. Then log out and log back in. Now try running Software Update and see what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.