Two OSX questions

Reaction score
I have a mac mini (1.83ghz, 1gb ram) and it is used as a family computer, so it has multiple users on it. I have noticed every since I upgraded to snow leopard, I get the beach ball while logging into accounts (but its worse on mine). I tried cleaning cache and repairing permissions (which it gave a 1million plus characters list), but nothing helped. I reset the pram and it fixed it, for a few hours. It started to beach ball again. So what it the deal with the beach ball on login?

My second question is after upgrading to 10.6.3 my boot time as slowed by about 20 sec. I saw online someone said that installing the 6.3 combo update fixed it. What is the Combo update? Is it all the updates since 10.6?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Also, a large number of start-up items can really hamper your system and it's boot time.

OP
G
Reaction score
Also, a large number of start-up items can really hamper your system and it's boot time.

Try the combo update first, download and install it

Mac OS X v10.6.3 Update (Combo)

Then let Onyx run a suite of maintenance tasks on that mac (also how much free space do you have)

Titanium Software

Thanks for the replies , but what is the combo update? will I lose any settings?

Also I have no startup items, I even got rid of itunes helper cuz I get sick of itunes launching every time I plug in my touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
It just updates the OS. It might replace any faulty files that are causing your problem. You won't lose any settings/data

OP
G
Reaction score
It has a small 80gig drive, so I keep all my big files (iphoto, itunes and videos) on a 640gig usb drive. I have 48.44 gigs free.

OP
G
Reaction score
I installed the update and my boot is even slower. I may just be from a fresh install though. Should I clear out the cache files or was that done in the install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
When you upgraded to Snow Leopard did you use the upgrade feature or did you do a clean install? I believe Snow Leopard does an upgrade as the default install. If you didn't have to reinstall all your applications and transfer all your files over from a backup then you did an upgrade.

I've heard more problems resulting from this type of upgrading. I prefer doing clean installs when upgrading to a new OS. It may or may not be the cause of your problem but a few days ago someone else complained of similar problems when they did an upgrade to Snow Leopard using the upgrade feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If you have a backup and no other solution is working for you then you can try doing a fresh install of Snow Leopard. Unless someone else has other suggestions then that would be the way I would go.

If that solves your problem then you can try restoring files from your backup to save time but if that brings back the problem then you will have to manually reinstall everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What is the Combo update?

Well, it's not the Combo update, it's a Combo update. That just means you don't have to install the previous update first.

For example, say you have 10.x.1 and want to install 10.x.4 ...where "x" is any number.
You could install 10.x.2 then 10.x.3 then 10.x.4, or just use the 10.x.4 Combo updater. That's all there is to the terminology.

Reaction score
It has firewire, but I Don't have a FW drive. I did the combo update and it did nothing. I may just need to add more ram. It only has one gig.

no i meant another computer, if u use the firewire port and just connect them (but with the other steps of course)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.