• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

So will you dump Apple ??

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Well there are a lot of bold - brash - and emotional statements being made on the rumors page about Apple / Intel.

So think about it - if on Monday the annoucement is made - and Apple is moving everything (in time) to x86 - are you really going to jump ship to Linux or XP or or or or or or or or or OS 9 or or or or or or or DOS ??

I came to Apple to escape Microsoft - I don't really give a rip about the hardware as long as the box is designed by Apple.

OP
I

iMe

I'll still be with Apple all the way..Intel, or PPC, Apple will still deliver a strong, solid OS platform. If this rumor is true, i'm pretty sure Apple will make the transition as smooth as possible; something no other company can do. I only thing I worry about is resale value. But then again, Apple will probably offer a trade in program starting Monday...ya never know.

OP
K

Kokopelli

In a nutshell I did not buy a Mac for the hardware. I bought it because it was a Unix-Based platform with ease of use characteristics. I am very much a *nix man, I grew up and learned on Unix and am more comfortable in it than I ever will be in Windows. So when Apple went to a *nix back end and had achieved a certain level of maturity I bought my PB. I was not too confident about how much I would like it, but I considered it worth trying. I can't say that I have regretted my decision.

I don't really buy into the "Apple hardware is built better than everyone elses" idea. I have to give that to the IBM Thinkpads. Apple hardware is good though. What it boils down to for me does the package do what it needs to and does it do so well. Not the hardware, not the software, the whole thing. Apple has delivered for me, so if they decide to go wih a different platform for hardware I will watch and see. If the results look good I see no need to abandon OS X.

I have multiple Linux servers and my secondary desktop is Linux running Slack. I see no need to switch for any of them, but I must confess my overall experience with OS X has been better than with any other system I have ever owned. Not as rewarding, not as challenging, and most definitely not perfect, but very pleasant. And that deserves some loyalty and faith, whatever hardware platform Apple choses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
For me, the advantages of Macintosh do not lie in the hardware. Sure, the outside appearance of Macs can be more apealing to the eye...but the insides are really not that different than any other computer. What matters is the software....at least in my opinion anyway. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
I just hope this doens't mean that other companies will be making Mac's. Could you imagine a HP Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
I guess I dont mind the switch more then I mind the fact I just got done buying a new Mac G5 dual system not to long ago, and I just got a new Powerbook the other day. I am converned about the resale value and the use value if this switch over come to be. I will still be a Mac user and will adapt to the new platform, but I still dont like it now. I cant see why Apple would spend all this time getting Tiger and making the move to 64 bit only to go back to a 32 bit bloated x86 CPU.

OP
K

Kokopelli

One things for sure, this is the most specualtion I have seen in a while. Of course I have not been following Apple till recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
intel is fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Assuming that the reports are true, I will eventually make the transition to OS X on whatever new architecture Apple uses, provided that the software I use continues to be available on that platform.

I don't intend to buy anything other than PowerPC hardware anytime soon, though. My software investments make such a switch impractical, unless full compatibility is maintained. Luckily, I have a recent machine to give me several productive years before any upgrades become necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Maybe I am niave but I just don't see Apple hanging all their customers out to dry again... (referring to the 9 - OSX switch that made software a nightmare for a couple years.)

I'm sure that Jobs knows full well he better make this transition, if it is even really happening, as easy as possible. Obviously if they are switching there is some long term benefit to switching to Intel. It's like someone in another thread said: "It's not like Jobs woke up one morning and said 'I want to switch to Intel!'."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
im not too fussed as long as mac os stays as good as it is.

if they go x86 ill wait a while and see you can use your one H/W and build my own machine because as pretty as they are they will be expensive

if they stay PPC id be happier as i like PPC but it most def means id be saving for a new PowerMac :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.