Installation Problems

Reaction score
Hi, we just installed Microsoft 2008 for student and office. The installation went fine. We have the applications in our finder and can open the programs. However, when we move them to the dock, the icons do not display.
How do I solve this problem?

Alternatively, I guess I could uninstall the software and re-install it. Will I be able to do this a second-time around?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Do the icons show in the Dock when running the apps? If so, run the app, then right-click on the Dock icon and select the option to make it stay in the Dock.

Reaction score
Do you have the microsoft folder in the application folder? Have you tried moving that next to application folder to see if it stays there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As stated MS Office folder should be in the applications folder by default, simply drag component icons, such as Word etc, to the Dock. This creates an alias in the Dock which you can open by selecting. You probably will not want all the Office icons in the Dock, as Excel and PowerPoint are not that frequently used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
We have the applications in our finder and can open the programs. However, when we move them to the dock, the icons do not display.
How do I solve this problem?

Ok, you want the applications to be available in the Dock. They go on the left side of the faint white dashed line. They will not stay if you drag them to the right side. Does that do it for you?

Just in case...
If you drag any icon off the Dock and release the mouse, an image of a puff of smoke appears, and the item disappears. Then you'll have to go find the original, and drag it back to the Dock. Again, applications on the left, folders (which then are called Stacks when in the Dock) and files on the right.

Reaction score
Hi Guys...

Something is strange started happening recently on my Snow Leopard 10.6.2 desktop:

The Hard Drive Icon, instead of being that nice looking "stainless steel" icon color..is now a yucky, orange Plastic HD icon! :(

..and the Menu Bar, has somehow, chose to "install" my name on it~ :eek:

screwedCON.JPG

Can someone PLEASE help me correct this mistake, since I have already tried to Delete the "Com.Apple.Finder plist"...and even used Disk Utility's "Repair, Check & Confirm" Permissions options...and still have that ugly plastic HD icon on the desktop and my name in the Menu Bar~!

Thanks for listening....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi Guys...

Something is strange started happening recently on my Snow Leopard 10.6.2 desktop:

The Hard Drive Icon, instead of being that nice looking "stainless steel" icon color..is now a yucky, orange Plastic HD icon! :(

That drive icon is the one used for an external drive of some sort. I don't recognize that logo on the drive though. Maybe you just need to run a cache cleaning utility. Grab Onyx or Ice Clean and run those tools.

..and the Menu Bar, has somehow, chose to "install" my name on it~ :eek:

If you click on your name, do you get the option to switch to a different user? If so… you have Fast User Switching enabled. Go to System Prefs > Accounts > Login Options to fix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.