Will the ipad work with a glove on my hand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I've seen many many shots of the ipad. And the only thing I do not like about it is the fingerprints. Hideous. They look really horrible. And I got a thinking could I use a glove in my pointing hand so I would minimise the fingerprint issue?

I know the ipad's screen works by completeing a circut with the micro amounts of charge in youe finger to work. But could I buy a glove that lets this micro current flow through and still work with the ipad. And if this can work what type of glove would I get and where would one pick one up?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you own an iPhone or touch? Have you tried that with a glove? If not, I can see if I can find a glove and try it on my iPhone. I figure it should work on all 3 as they are the same basic touch screen tech.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I don't own a touch or iphone. But I do own a 1st gen (far silver) Nintendo DS. And that works with my finger. But I dunno if that can be comparable to the ipad or not. And yes I would aaume if the glove works of the iphone, it should work on the ipad too.

And thanks so much for the responce.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know about a glove. Can tell you that it works through a glass cleaning cloth. Folded double, it mostly works. Folded triple, nadda. You'd have to find an awful thin glove. It's easy enough to keep one of these cloths with it though. Keeping one tucked inside the case. Have a matte oil resistant screen protector on the way. Will post on that as soon as I get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
Unless the glove is made specifically to work with a capacitive touch screen I doubt it will work. It has been my experience that even a thin amount of material between your finger and screen disrupt the process. That being said, I am a nurse and often have surgical or latex gloves on and I know for a fact that you can use them with the iPhone....So just go out and buy a bunch of those if you are worried about finger prints. =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Personally I'd say a few fingerprints and a wipe with a cloth looks far less horrible than sitting with a glove on but to each their own.

You can buy conductive thread (you wouldn't need much of it). Just a few stitches of it in the end of any glove you have will do the trick.

Make your own:
Making A Glove Work With A Touch Screen

Off the shelf:
Dots Gloves | The iPhone Glove That Feels Gloveless (dead link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
What about the sort of gloves they wear when dealing with really old documents? They are cloth of some kind and very thin.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the responces. I've watch a few video reviews for the dots gloves and they ook really nice. Just what I am after. I might look into them. And secondly those white old document gloves might work of they are thin enough. But if not I think no go. As anything that has a charge I assume would be bad for old documents as you'd want a static/lint/acid free environment for them to live in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.