How to get battery replacement with AppleCare?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz 4GB
I've got a summer '07 Macbook 2.16, that I bought in June of '07 with AppleCare. My battery is not what it once was to say the least, it will only last about an hour to an hour and a half during normal use. I was wondering, although my battery doesn't seem to be "malfunctioning", could I still be able to get a replacement? Especially since my plan is up in June this year.

btw, istat says my battery's health is 78% (3923mAh), with 882 cycles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 Intel Duo 500GB HDD 4 GB RAM 9400M
I don't think the battery is covered, you may have to just go to a Apple Store and buy a new one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was wondering, although my battery doesn't seem to be "malfunctioning", could I still be able to get a replacement? Especially since my plan is up in June this year.

The simple answer is...laptop batteries are not covered under Applecare. They are considered a "consumable" item, and are not covered.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
They covered one of mine but the cycle count was low and it would not last 15 minutes
which was bad when it was only a year old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
higher then like 80 cycle counts they told me they wouldnt replace it. I had 256 on mine @ 20% life; and they laughed at me saying it shouldnt even last me that long. (typically after 200 -250 they are about shot) But within the first 6 months if you had an issue they will replace it. I looked at online auctions and got one for $49 shipped. OEM too.

Any BTW, you have a VERY healthy batter at that many cycle counts and 78% left. WOW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Just to clarify things:

Notebook Owners

Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your replacement coverage for a defective battery to three years from the date of your notebook purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan. However, the AppleCare Protection Plan for notebook computers does not cover batteries that have failed or are exhibiting diminished capacity except when the failure or diminished capacity is the result of a manufacturing defect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
6string got it right. If it's defective then you qualify for a replacement. I once had a battery that was slightly bulging and the Apple Store replaced it on the spot. I too was just a few months away from the end of my AppleCare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
The battery is covered to a certain extent. I had an early model MacBook that wouldn't hold a charge for longer than an hour, went to an Apple Store, they tested it, handed me a brand new replacement. Really it comes down to the judgment of the tech that you're talking to, and if Apple knows of defects in certain models' batteries.

So at least go and give it a shot, although with your cycle count, they may just flat out deny you a replacement. Still worth a try.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's remember...the OP's battery is NOT defective! The OP mentioned that their battery is functioning fine...it's just doesn't have the battery life it used to.

The OP was asking if they could get a new battery before their Applecare runs out to replace their older "not as good as new" battery.

Yes Applecare covers defective batteries (if the battery can be proven to be defective)...but Applecare does not cover batteries that simply are not as good as new...which is what seems to be the case in this thread.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Cycle count isn't everything. My battery was relatively new and had a high cycle count, but it was clearly defective. In the OP's case, it's very well possible that his relatively new battery also has some defect. pigoo3, my battery was "functioning" just fine as well, it would still hold a charge (albeit less than I would have liked), but it was still ever so slightly bulging. I had to take mine out and inspect it closely to actually notice it, so for all we know the OP hasn't noticed a bulge in his battery.

Get it checked out at the Genius Bar. Worst they can do is deny you a replacement.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really it comes down to the judgment of the tech that you're talking to, and if Apple knows of defects in certain models' batteries.

So at least go and give it a shot, although with your cycle count, they may just flat out deny you a replacement. Still worth a try.

This is definitely the "wild card" in the whole warranty or Applecare process. Although the warranty/Applecare says one thing...many times employees at the Apple Stores may make their own interpretation of the problem...and may decide in your favor!:)

OP: So give it a shot...you never know!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pigoo3, my battery was "functioning" just fine as well, it would still hold a charge (albeit less than I would have liked), but it was still ever so slightly bulging. I had to take mine out and inspect it closely to actually notice it, so for all we know the OP hasn't noticed a bulge in his battery.

Sure the OP's battery could have other issues. It sounds like from their posting that they're simply trying to get a "freebie"...in other words getting a new battery before the Applecare runs out.

This is certainly not something the warranty or Applecare covers...otherwise everyone with a laptop would be running to the Apple Store the day before their Applecare or warranty runs out to get their new battery!;)

If the OP's battery actually has problems...they certainly should have it looked into. But the OP has had this laptop/battery since June 2007 (closing in on 3 years)...with what sounds like trouble free use...other than that the battery doesn't run the laptop on battery power as long as it used to. Which is what happens with all laptop batteries eventually.:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.