How do I transfer my HD.

Reaction score
Hey,

I just got my new Hitachi Hard drive, I know how to install it and stuff, but I was wondering what's the best way to transfer all my applications and files from my stock hard drive to this new one.

I regularly use Time Machine to make back up's, so could I just use that, or would you recommend some sort of cloning software such as Super Duper?

The only thing I'm worried about is getting my applications over to the new Hard drive, as I can't remember where most of the discs are or where I got them from over the Internet.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
Install the new drive, reinstall OS X, when prompted to restore from time machine plug in your external time machine backup and select. Should be easy.

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently restored my computer from a time machine back up. The way I did it was to use Migration Assistant which is found in Utilities (and used it to restore from an external HDD). It worked a treat. All my applications work and I didnt even have to put any product keys in (which i thought i might have had to do!)

Hope this helps!

Adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'd go with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.
Get an external enclosure to put your new HD in, clone to it, at then put it in your Mac and you have an identical system, except, with the new HD :)

OP
R
Reaction score
If I go with the idea of cloning my Hard Drive, do I have to format my new HD first, or can I just stick it in the enclosure and then clone to it?

Also does using cloning have any benefits compared to using time machine. When considering using Time machine, I could just reinstall the OS, so I would have a fresh OS to work on?

Looking at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bullychris

This guy just reinstalled the OS and just copied over the contents of his old HD, this is how I would like to do it, but not too sure what he used to back up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Format first to Mac Os Extended Journaled.
The benefit is that you don't have to install the OS first and you know that it is a clone.
For a fresh system.... install OS X, and then transfer docs, movies, pics, songs, etc manually, and reinstall apps fresh from discs and download from vendors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 13.3" 2.13ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb SDRAM 160gb HD
Format first to Mac Os Extended Journaled.
The benefit is that you don't have to install the OS first and you know that it is a clone.
For a fresh system.... install OS X, and then transfer docs, movies, pics, songs, etc manually, and reinstall apps fresh from discs and download from vendors.

That totally answered my question.

If I put a new 640GB drive in a case format it and copy the 160GB entirely onto the 640GB using Disc Utility or Super Duper, won't the 640GB drive boot up as if it was the old drive after placing it in the Macbook?

I thought I heard that somewhere here on the forums before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.