Weird Menus and Shortcuts Problem OSX

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this before? It's driving me crazy and no one seems to know what's caused it.

Thanks!

weird.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Not I.
Would you like help brainstorming how to fix it?
If so, more info on your Mac, your OS, and what you've tried would be needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I have read about this before , and if I remember well, this is related to an issue with your fonts.

Have a search on this forum on issues with fonts and you will find something I'm sure.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.

Fonts is where my guess was lying. I looked at several of the font folders and nothing seems to be missing that I can tell. Also, the user (it's not my computer) claims that it happened all of a sudden without making any changes (but I don't usually take that at face value).

So far I tried copying a pile of fonts from the user directory into the SYstem\library\fonts directory just in case, and that doesn't seem to have solved the problem. The really weird thing is, if you slow click on the desktop items so that you can rename them, the text comes up normal (while you edit them).

I wish I had more info on the OS version. I'm not at their computer anymore (but if I get back on I'll definitely give you as much info as I can). I believe it is Leopard, not Snow Leopard.

Any suggestions to further try and fix it if it IS a font problem? I'm not really a mac technician, though I do have a Mac of my own that I've done some comparisons with and can use if necessary to try and replace missing files.

Thank you VERY much in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box
Unless you have changed the theme of the dock and menu bar and the folder icons, this looks like Tiger or older to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Reaction score
dude, some background on what you were doing, or what you were installing/modifying would really help us help you. Also, what version of OSX are you using?

OP
D
Reaction score
As I mentioned, it's not my computer. The user claims she did nothing (which I mentioned I don't really believe because nothing is usually the result of doing nothing, whereas doing something is the more likely way for something to happen).

The other member is probably right, it probably is Tiger then, I'm just not that familiar with Mac computers. It's a PowerBook G4 15", so that makes sense (I didn't know that until now. As I said, I only saw it on-site for a very short time, after that I was logged onto it remotely).

I am going to have a look at the link about font corruption, thanks for that!

If anyone else happens to read this, and has had the exact same problem in Tiger, I'd love to know how you solved it.

Thank you all again for your help. It's really nice to find a forum where people are polite, courteous and helpful!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.