Dent in aluminum case. Already?! Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So I was just like all of YOU on release day, standing in line at 9am to get my coveted iPad...

And I have probably taken good care of it just like most of you. In fact i can recount every day and where the iPad was. For 90% of the time it sat at home being charged. And tons of light use at home. You know, being extra careful with your new device...

One day i took it to work. I kept it in the apple carry case, stowed inside my North Face backpack in a padded section meant for laptops. At any rate, I really thought ive been taking care of the bad boy.

Low and behold I noticed a very small dent on the rear of the aluminum case. Now i can feel it every time i hold my iPad. Ugh.

Really,i cant believe this thing is already dented. Ugh. I'll get pictures up if I can get it to show on film.

I wonder if i can get a replacement... But wonder how the genius bar would handle it.

Oh yea, and this dang thing sporadically makes my i's lowercase or uppercase.

Anyone else with the same story?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I haven't dented mine. I don't take it anywhere either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
One day i took it to work. I kept it in the apple carry case, stowed inside my North Face backpack in a padded section meant for laptops. At any rate, I really thought ive been taking care of the bad boy.
Anyone else with the same story?
Out of curiosity which case did you have your iPad in? Sorry about the dent, that would bother me as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Low and behold I noticed a very small dent on the rear of the aluminum case. Now i can feel it every time i hold my iPad. Ugh.

Really,i cant believe this thing is already dented. Ugh. I'll get pictures up if I can get it to show on film.

I wonder if i can get a replacement... But wonder how the genius bar would handle it.

Sounds very similar to the "ease of denting" of the Aluminum case (pre-unibody) MacBook Pros. The solution is to get a protective sleeve/case for the iPad.

An no...it's very unlikely that Apple will give you a replacement.:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Heck no I am too careful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I keep mine a a locked climate controlled vault until my case comes in. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Are there any cases like the iPhone ones which stay in place during use, or only bags for carrying?

Reaction score
That's the problem with cases like that. They offer no shock absorption. I have my iPad armored with a polyurethane screen and the aluminum case. That way there is no way that anything will effect the condition of my precious baby.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I noticed a slight indentation in the back of mine that I'm sure didn't come from anything I did. I didn't buy any protection plan, so I doubt anything can be done about it now.

One thing I did notice that might be cause for replacement is uneven lighting on one side of my screen. I was watching a video in letterbox and noticed the top side had noticeably uneven lighting, but the other side is very even. It's kind of bothersome for something that costs as much as this.

Think Apple would replace mine due to the lighting issue?

OP
P
Reaction score
Out of curiosity which case did you have your iPad in? Sorry about the dent, that would bother me as well.

I got the Apple branded black kinda vinyl case. With an apple logo out front. $39.99

I noticed a slight indentation in the back of mine that I'm sure didn't come from anything I did. I didn't buy any protection plan, so I doubt anything can be done about it now.

One thing I did notice that might be cause for replacement is uneven lighting on one side of my screen. I was watching a video in letterbox and noticed the top side had noticeably uneven lighting, but the other side is very even. It's kind of bothersome for something that costs as much as this.

Think Apple would replace mine due to the lighting issue?

Yes I do. Don't mention YOUR dent at all. I get my 3GS replaced once every few months or so because of those stress cracks by the 30pin.

Id make a genius bar appointment asap.

OP
P
Reaction score
Anyone else? I just can't imagine that I treated my iPad negligently.

But, if there's not a ton of other "dent users" I guess maybe it's just user error.

I thought there would be more people that said they had dents and didn't treat the case bad.

Hmmmm.... Either way, I have a small ding on my lovely iPad. Ugh.

Paulie

Reaction score
That is a shame, I hate when I scratch or happen to get a dent on my apple products - be sure to cover it up in the future.

Sam.

Reaction score
Only other dent I heard about was a guy claiming his was dented out of the box - same guy who claims he was first Ipad sale in SF. Other than that I have not heard much about denting. Both of my 64's have been in the apple sleeve since day one and one has been coast to cast several times (luggage, computer bag's - basically thrown around and used) and no dents 'yet'

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me

First time I took it to work, in the apple cover/case and in my TUMI bag. Found a dent on the back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Yeah, having a dent in the back would upset me too, but I would have to say that for the most part, when I am using my iPad I am looking at the front side where the screen is... most of the time. Looking at the back side just isn't that interesting!

Reaction score
I was going to trade a 32" and 26" LED TV for a 64GB iPad today but there was a dent in the back, and that worried me... it seemed to function fine, but I was unsure about taking such a big risk.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thread closed due to spammers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.