Airport settings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 max (16-inch, 2021) & 2016 iPad Pro
When I close the lid of my laptop, I lose the internet and/or router connection. What settings do I need to check in order to keep my connection even with the lid closed?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude,....thanks, but, I'm not using any external devices.

I have a wireless printer and when I start a print job and close the lid of my laptop, it will disconnect from the router and the printer loses the communication and cannot complete the print job.

I just started using iChat and have noticed that when I close the lid, my wife's mac shows that I'm "offline."

I've checked the pwr settings thinking that I might have the laptop set to go into sleep mode when the lid is closed. Maybe I'm missing something that is causing that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD
i think you want a program called InsomniaX semaja2

keeps your mac from going to sleep when closing the lid, but be warned due to the vents it could cause damage to your screen. (correct me if i'm wrong in this fact)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What's actually happening is that when the machine goes too sleep one of its power saving measures is to shut down its network (Airport) connections. That is why your iChat status shifts to "offline". DrMac is correct something like InsomniaX is what is needed.

I think you would be OK as far as heat since Apple has guidelines in place for using the laptop line in 'clamshell" mode with external displays. I don't think your situation would generate more heat than it would if an external display were attached with the lid closed. Perhaps others can comment on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The set back is, insomniax and caffeine don't shut down the display when you close the lid.
In order to counteract this, setup a hot corner to put the display to sleep, and use that before closing lid.
The problem with these programmes, is that it is easy to forget your Mac is awake, and this is where the overheating problem can come into play.... be it on and closed for very extended periods, or put in a bag, case, etc in this mode.

As you will notice, parts of the upper keyboard and surrounds get very warm, and therefore, being in clamshell mode with or without these apps is not going to allow this heat to dissipate.

Everyone will have opinions on the above and more... I have just merely stated some facts that I am aware of.

Even though very minimal, and it varies depending on the model of Mac notebook, I believe that there is little airflow around the keys, which is prevented in clamshell mode, etc.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.