How do I connect to another computer (screenshare/capture) on Mac OS X 10.5?

Reaction score
I want to connect to another computer and control it with my mouse and keyboard. The thing is, my computer is on a network and I want to connect to another computer that is on another network. I am confused because (for example) a linksys router starts of as 192.168.1.1 and all other clients are 192.168.1.xxx (the "xxx" replaced by numbers). What IP Address do I type in to connect to the other computer to connect directly to it?

In the example below, I want to connect to the computer on the IP 10.0.1.17 (the computer's IP that is on a network) with the public IP 76.4.105.131 (from the internet service provider) while I am on a different network.

What do I type in, some sort of combination of the two?

IP Address (Public, External or WAN IP Address)

Internal IP Address (LAN or Router IP Address)

Step by step instructions please. Any help would be great.

p.s. This will be a Mac-to-Mac connection, both running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

If they were both on the same network I would simply type in 76.4.105.131 but I'm confused because of the different networks issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
OP
m3chan1zr
Reaction score
Thanks. It's exactly what I needed. How many times can I connect using the free non-corporate edition? Is it unlimited?

Just curious:
How can I set up the screen capture/control feature that 10.5 and 10.6 has?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
It is free for personal use. It will remind you every now and then - I find it unobtrusive.

Just curious:
How can I set up the screen capture/control feature that 10.5 and 10.6 has?

I'm not sure what you are asking but here is a pretty decent tutorial on screen sharing
Leopard Makes It Easy to Share Your Mac's Screen Locally and Over the Internet
But I don't agree with how he portforwards everything - it is unencrypted and insecure. I highly recommend ignoring the port forward advice in the article. It is in my opinion, very dangerous to open known insecure ports as he has.

Here is another tutorial that talks about ssh port forwarding - which is how I access my internal network.
Tutorial: Screen Sharing in Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5): How it works and how it doesn't | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

If that isn't what you are looking for please let post exactly what you are looking for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.