Help! Internet videos, YouTube, etc., no longer playing on my Mac.

Reaction score
Hello folks,

It's my first post, and I've joined because I'm hoping to get some help from folks who know more about Macs than I do!

I'm not sure what happened, but I can no longer get YouTube or other internet videos to play on my computer (Mac G4 Powerbook PPC, OSX 10.4.11). When I go to Youtube and select a video, the image of the video flashes for a brief second and disappears, leaving a blank space where you'd expect to see the video. This happens with the other internet sites as well; I doublechecked.

I think the videos stopped working after I had upgraded to the new version of Flash Player. But I have since uninstalled it (with the Adobe uninstaller) and then tried an older version (9.47) but that didn't work. So I uninstalled that, and put the new Flash Player back. I've also updated my Safari browser (can't get Firefox to work anymore without crashing every time).

I've also checked my preferences to see that Java and Javascript are enabled. They are.

Has anybody else had this problem? Or better yet, had anyone got a fix for me? Thanks!

OP
N
Reaction score
Hey thanks 6string!

I appreciate the welcome and the advice. (I assume you play guitar? Me too, for a very long time now.) Anyway, I downloaded the update you suggested. I assume that it will help with a variety of functions, yet sadly, it doesn't seem to make any difference with the YouTube situation. Any and all further suggestions gladly accepted. Thanks again 6string.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Pleasure.... wish I could've helped.
Because I don't have tiger anymore, or a PPC Mac, it makes it pretty much impossible for me to test it all out, but I hope that someone will be along shortly with suggestions.
I would use OnyX OnyX (Tiger) for Mac - Free Mac software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com and repair permissions, clear caches, etc, and see if that fixes it.
I would also remove firefox with AppCleaner and reinstall from Apple - Downloads - Internet Utilities - Mozilla Firefox
*and yeah, play, teach, record, etc.... but slackin off heaps lately.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hey thanks again 6string. (Sounds like your a lifer guitarist like myself.)

I should mention another thing I'm noticing. When I go to a Myspace page, it tells me to upgrade my Flash Player, even though I've already done so numerous times. There must be something going on where the Flash Player is not being recognized for some reason or another. Oy.

Reaction score
Flash Player - G5

I have a newly acquired late 2005 Power Mac G5 Dual Core, model A1177 with the 10.4.11 Tiger OS. The first thing I discovered is that nothing video related works from the web. I right away loaded the latest Abobe Flash 10 for Mac and the end result was that because its not an Intel Processor, it will not work with this system. I contacted Apple and they said nothing they can see will work with this system. I took the specs on this unit to the Apple store who also said they know of nothing out there that will work either. They said to contact Adobe who may be able to help or provide an older version that will work with this. I tried loading Flash Player 9....still nothing.
My question is, I know it did work for 5 years in our office with Flash....why now will it no longer work? Is it that Adobe updated their software and nothing they have now will work with the older Power Macs?
Also, with it known that Adobe does not work with the Iphones and Ipads, I can get YouTube and other videos from sites that are not Adobe Flash related, so it must be another flash type program that does work. Why would this not work on the G5?
Any help is appreciated as my work involves using video from the web. I also want to know if anyone who owns this vintage G5....how do you do use video from the web?

Thanks
MG64

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Running TIGER (Mac OS X 10.4.11) Dual 2 Ghz PPC G5 4.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM
I tried loading Flash Player 9....still nothing.
My question is, I know it did work for 5 years in our office with Flash....why now will it no longer work?
I also want to know if anyone who owns this vintage G5....how do you do use video from the web?

Thanks
MG64

Don't want to just regurgitate the issue, but I have the same G5 configuration with Tiger and have always been able to view YouTube and most any other video. Then one day . . . nothing. I am always asked to update my Flash Player but Flash Player refuses to allow any kind of update on a PPC.

Any one have any answers? My browser is Firefox 3.6.16

Reaction score
Don't want to just regurgitate the issue, but I have the same G5 configuration with Tiger and have always been able to view YouTube and most any other video. Then one day . . . nothing. I am always asked to update my Flash Player but Flash Player refuses to allow any kind of update on a PPC.

Any one have any answers? My browser is Firefox 3.6.16

have you tried to update your firefox, maybe it can solve the problem ..
or if the problem still appear , try to clean remove the firefox using appcleaner it's free ..
after that , restart your mac, and then try to install the new version of firefox that you've been downloaded ..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.