OS install questions...

Reaction score
I have a buddy who just bought 40 or so macs for his business and they came with install discs etc (10.6 snow leopard I believe). My question is this: I have a white MacBook with 10.4.11 and wonder if the install discs he has will work on mine for the updated OS. His machines are all iMacs. I would imagine that doesn't matter but I could be wrong. Is there a limited number of installs per disc or anything like that? Are the discs specific (via serial numbers etc.) to the machine?

What's involved in updating OS on a Mac? I have installed OS X before when my HD crashed. For an update do I need to wipe my HD?

Thanks a lot!

Brad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
No the install disks that come with apple computers are machine specific, so the disks from the iMacs would not work with your MacBook.
Besides it would violate apples EULA, you can't use a disk for more than one computer legally.
You need to buy yourself a disk from apple, $29 and you get a full update.
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

For updating the OS, you will not have to wipe the HD, you simply put the disk in and boot from it and follow the instructions. It takes about 30 mins for the install to complete.
But backup your data first, just in case something goes wrong.

Cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You need to buy yourself a disk from apple, $29 and you get a full update.

That would still violate the EULA, as the OP is using Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a buddy who just bought 40 or so macs for his business and they came with install discs etc (10.6 snow leopard I believe). My question is this: I have a white MacBook with 10.4.11 and wonder if the install discs he has will work on mine for the updated OS. His machines are all iMacs. I would imagine that doesn't matter but I could be wrong. Is there a limited number of installs per disc or anything like that? Are the discs specific (via serial numbers etc.) to the machine?

What's involved in updating OS on a Mac? I have installed OS X before when my HD crashed. For an update do I need to wipe my HD?

Thanks a lot!

Brad

Wow! You want to illegally update the OS on your laptop...and then it appears that you know absolutely nothing about doing an OS update.

Next thing you're going to say is...you want to rob a bank...and then ask how to do it!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Wow! You want to illegally update the OS on your laptop...and then it appears that you know absolutely nothing about doing an OS update.

Next thing you're going to say is...you want to rob a bank...and then ask how to do it!

- Nick

After reading this post, I thought I'd check out what the OP's other posts were.
To no surprise, a couple of questionable posts!
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/126203-macbook-frozen-after-update-help.html and http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...t-get-past-apple-screen-start.html#post737968
When asked if he had the original install discs in either of the posts, there was no further correspondence.
So, I guess there is no sense discussing morals here!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After reading this post, I thought I'd check out what the OP's other posts were.
To no surprise, a couple of questionable posts!
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/126203-macbook-frozen-after-update-help.html and http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...t-get-past-apple-screen-start.html#post737968
When asked if he had the original install discs in either of the posts, there was no further correspondence.
So, I guess there is no sense discussing morals here!

Thanks for checking. I know that some of the questions the OP asked regarding updating the OS are legitimate...but when these legit questions are paired with the "activity" of trying to use the wrong disks...and asking about number of installs & serial numbers on install disks...things start to look a bit "fishy".;)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Sorry for asking a question to the ethic community of the world.

I figured since my friend bought 30 macs last month and he has a STACK of discs sitting in his office I would use one. I have done a million installs and updates of Windows machines (not literally, sorry for stretching the truth--don't want to be condemned to **** for that too) and when my Mac crashed last fall I did a new install then with my original discs.

To those of you who answered the question, I appreciate it. I am sorry I offended all of the others.

I love Apple products and own quite a few but what I do not love is their absurd prices. I think by trying to use a different disc I am committing no more of a crime that they are with their prices on the front end.

I know, I had a choice. I know, I can chose to not but their products, I know, you are going to flame away for those comments. Did you get what you wanted? Are you happy that you finally got to push back at all of those who bullied you in high school?!?!?!

Sorry for existing...

Reaction score

I figured since my friend bought 30 macs last month and he has a STACK of discs sitting in his office I would use one. I have done a million installs and updates of Windows machines (not literally, sorry for stretching the truth--don't want to be condemned to **** for that too) and when my Mac crashed last fall I did a new install then with my original discs.

To those of you who answered the question, I appreciate it. I am sorry I offended all of the others.

I love Apple products and own quite a few but what I do not love is their absurd prices. I think by trying to use a different disc I am committing no more of a crime that they are with their prices on the front end.

I know, I had a choice. I know, I can chose to not but their products, I know, you are going to flame away for those comments. Did you get what you wanted? Are you happy that you finally got to push back at all of those who bullied you in high school?!?!?!

Sorry for existing...

How is 29 bucks absurd? Each of those disks belongs to the machine they came with thus they are licensed to those machines. Pirating software is not the way to go and only drives prices up for everyone else. Besides, 29 dollars is not that much to spend considering that MS wants 120 just for the home upgrade.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
How is 29 bucks absurd? Each of those disks belongs to the machine they came with thus they are licensed to those machines. Pirating software is not the way to go and only drives prices up for everyone else. Besides, 29 dollars is not that much to spend considering that MS wants 120 just for the home upgrade.

Actually, your are not supposed to use the 29$ disk if you still have tiger. That disk is for users who already payed for leopard. However, I think it's apple's own fault for having no restrictions on what OS snow leopard can upgrade from.

That is why apple created the 'mac box set', in an attempt to keep things fair between leopard and tiger users upgrading to SL.

Reaction score
My point is that their prices are not absurd in that aspect. You can get the box set for $169, still a bargain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
My point is that their prices are not absurd in that aspect. You can get the box set for $169, still a bargain.

Oh for sure, I understand apple's pricing. You're paying for high quality products, and the price's reflect that. Which is opposed to pretty much every other company, where the cheaper it is to make, the better;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

So you acknowledge that your potential action would be a crime, just not a bigger crime than some other purported "crime" which is actually quite legal. I think we've got it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yeah...it's a real shame that some folks have ethics & morals!

I suppose you think that the world would be a better place if everyone was a criminal!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
↑↑↑↑ What he said

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it's time for this thread to be closed...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.