MacBook makes a slight chirping noise

Reaction score
I happened to rest my arm a little rough on the top bevel of the screen during a conversation with some friends. Well, I'm not sure what is making the noise, either the fan is rubbing or the computer is halting the hard drive. Does anyone know exactly why there even is a noise? It sounds electronic, like it's coming through the speakers...and it only happens on the right side.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It could be the fan. BTW, you're MacBook only has one fan and it is located on the side. You could open it up but if you're still under warranty with Apple, have them look at it rather than you do it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
I occasionally here the exact same noise coming from my iMac. It does sound like it is coming from the speakers, but I'm sure it is just the fan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Sounds like it's time to get some bird food and feed those hungry little chirpers :)

OP
C
Reaction score
It could be the fan. BTW, you're MacBook only has one fan and it is located on the side. You could open it up but if you're still under warranty with Apple, have them look at it rather than you do it.

Regards.

I thought it was dead center.

Reaction score
I had roughly the same problem, and to be honest. the apple support nerds said to me that my mac is not under warranty anymore! because it had some part of alumium case deformed. I was so surprised that I haven't even noticed it myself.
anyway, they told me even if I want to pay them to change the fan, it could take 3-4 weeks! so I did it myself, ordered a fan froom ebay, shipped from hongkong. until now it works better than original fan! I think macbooks have seriouse reliablity issues!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.