Downloading Media Files in Browsers

Reaction score
So, lately I have noticed that when I click a link to a media file (*.mp3, *.avi, *.mp4, etc.) instead of downloading the file, it will open and load within the browser (have tried with both Safari and Chrome). Is there a way to change this so that instead of streaming the file, it will simply download it? It's much easier to see the progress of the download, and I rarely ever want to stream the files in the browser. Any help would be great.

I am running a 13" MBP 2.53 w/ 4gb RAM and 10.6.3.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I'm assuming you haven't tried right clicking the file and selecting save file as or some other similar option?

OP
J
Reaction score
I can option-click and save the file. However, this doesn't always work. My main questions is whether or not there is a way to change how browsers deal with media files. ie following a link to an mp3 with download it by default, rather than trying to play it within the browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I can option-click and save the file. However, this doesn't always work. My main questions is whether or not there is a way to change how browsers deal with media files. ie following a link to an mp3 with download it by default, rather than trying to play it within the browser.
I believe it's a built in feature of each web browser. You can try other browsers or find plugins that do what you want but other than that you would have to know how to hack your browser and customize it yourself.

Reaction score
If you use Mozilla Firefox there is a section in Preferences called Applications, it lists all the various file types and as a drop down for what to do with them.
No idea if Safari has the same option anyway...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Usually, the website operator determines whether content is sent as "inline" (display) or "attachment" (downloaded) by default.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.