Streaming Question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro, 2.26Ghz, 4 Gig memory, 250GB Hard drive
I was wondering if i can stream what is on my TV, to my macbook?
Is this possible, or should i just keep dreaming?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Can you be a bit more descriptive about what you want to stream? ie: is it over the air? is it cable? is it satellite? is it HD or SD? is it copy protected HD material? etc.

There are devices that will allow you to view/record video signals on a Mac - like the Elgato EyeTV hardware or Hauppage (sp?) HDPVR (requires third party software to work), etc. that may be what you're looking for.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you be a bit more descriptive about what you want to stream? ie: is it over the air? is it cable? is it satellite? is it HD or SD? is it copy protected HD material? etc.

There are devices that will allow you to view/record video signals on a Mac - like the Elgato EyeTV hardware or Hauppage (sp?) HDPVR (requires third party software to work), etc. that may be what you're looking for.

Wow, well i didn't know there were different things, i thought maybe a one fits all :p

But i just bought a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter and a DVI-D to HDMI cable, so i can use my TV as a monitor.
But i just wanted to know if i could buy something that could possibly reverse that.
Say i wanted to stream my video game, or my movies, is this possible?

Not to worried about streaming a TV signal, more like movies, ect.

Thanks.

Any other info you need, i'd be glad to throw it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you could get a device that would allow you to get the video into your Mac, but I wouldn't want to use it for video games honestly - there would be a lag time on the conversion between what the hardware would receive to what you would see on the screen which would kill playing games. In terms of movies, if they're on DVD, might as well play it directly on the Mac with it's own DVD player software or are referring to movie delivery in a different method?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you could get a device that would allow you to get the video into your Mac, but I wouldn't want to use it for video games honestly - there would be a lag time on the conversion between what the hardware would receive to what you would see on the screen which would kill playing games. In terms of movies, if they're on DVD, might as well play it directly on the Mac with it's own DVD player software or are referring to movie delivery in a different method?

Yeah i understand that. I was just gonna stream my SNES to it.
Well i understand the DVD part, but i have a lot of Blu-rays and stuff, so thats the only reason i asked.
I guess it's not really worth all the troubles. I just figured if it was an easy flip i would do it, but thank you for your time, i appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It'd be nice - but also the bluray would not come out HD - most movies on bluray playback requires HDCP all the way through (from source to final display) to maintain HD, and so even if you did play it back, it'd end up as SD video at best.

It's actually a fairly common question around here - a lot of people want to be able to use their Macbook or iMac screen as a "monitor" for other video sources - it's really just not designed for that style of use :(

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It'd be nice - but also the bluray would not come out HD - most movies on bluray playback requires HDCP all the way through (from source to final display) to maintain HD, and so even if you did play it back, it'd end up as SD video at best.

It's actually a fairly common question around here - a lot of people want to be able to use their Macbook or iMac screen as a "monitor" for other video sources - it's really just not designed for that style of use :(

Yeah i understand that.
The quality wouldn't worry me as much, i just can't play a bluray in my laptop :p

Yeah, it would be sweet, cause i just wanted to play some snes on stickam for my friends, cause i always get so ******, and they think its funny :]

But again thank you so very much :]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.