Apple - ipad Battery Replacement Service

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple - Support - Battery Replacement Service - iPad

According to this:

If your iPad requires service due to the battery’s diminished ability to hold an electrical charge, Apple will replace your iPad for a service fee.
How much does it cost?
The service costs $99, plus $6.95 shipping. The total cost is $105.95 per unit.
All fees are in U.S. dollars and are subject to local tax.

So it seems in essence Apple does not replace your battery. It replaces your entire ipad instead. So for in essence your $105 is new battery + new equivelant ipad. And knowing Apple's standards these ipad replacements will be of the best quality.

This is a strange thing to do. I wonder why Apple went this way with the battery repalcements.

"The replacement device will not be the original iPad shipped to Apple, but a refurbished machine sent out soon after the defective one is received."

"although the exterior case of the device will be brand-new, the underlying product will be one that's gone through Apple's fix-it procedures in some capacity"

I have read that from a lot of the places. I wonder if this is true. And I dunno about getting a refurb for 100 instead of the same ipad you own with a new battery. Sure it'll work like a charm but still I think people would like the same ipad they bought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
It's true I spoke to apple about this, it is much quicker to send a new iPad the to wait for battery replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
So what about the data - just resync with iTunes?

Wonder what happens with the 3G ones? Different IMEI, etc.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Will the data on my iPad be preserved?
No. You will receive a replacement iPad that will not contain any of your personal data. Before you submit your iPad for service, it is important to sync your iPad with iTunes to back up your contacts, calendars, email account settings, bookmarks, apps, etc. Apple is not responsible for the loss of information when servicing your iPad.

That is Apple's answer to the data.

C

chas_m

It should be noted that Apple has designed this battery *not to need replacement in the normal life of the product.*

It uses the same technology as the new sealed batteries of the MacBook Pro and MacBook, and thus SHOULD be good for 2-5 years of routine use. IOW, you're quite likely to buy a future version of the product before needing to replace the battery.

On top of that, let's say your battery started to fail after let's say two years. How many of us are going to have a pristine iPad after two years of daily use? Not many, that's how many. But guess what -- you get a new, pristine iPad for $100 in two years!

Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Wonder if it applies in the UK as well - probably for £100 I suppose. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Yea, I am not too worried about how many charges I pit on this iPad I was always carefull with my laptop. 100 bucks I am good with that:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.