• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best brand of dvd

Reaction score
Can someone suggest what brand of dvd works best to burn a movie. I have
a 2009 macbook pro.
I have been using verbatim & some will not play well in dvd players.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Sylvia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Hello, welcome to the forums!
I personally like Sony disks, almost never have a problem with them.

If you want to see the quality of the different brands.
Recordable Dvd Quality Page 1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I personally prefer Taiyo Yudens, but it's a bit harder to get those usually as most stores carry lesser brands like Maxell or memorex (ick) - I usually order from CD Dimensions, but they primarily sell in bulk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I generally use Sony as well, but I've never had a problem with the odd brands I find on sale.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for the input.... I have used Sony as well & had a few problems with them.
When I had a dell they suggested Verbatim & Sony. Just didn't know if there was anything better for mac. I make movies of dog seminars & burn a ton of dvd's for the participants.
Again Thanks!
Sylvia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Verbatim are first class discs, and what do you mean 'will not play well in DVD players?" Is this referring to computer or TV players? Have always found Toast Titanium the best burning software for making DVD's, computer or TV units.

OP
S
Reaction score
explaination

I have had complaints that the discs ( burned on verbatim with my macpro 2009) skip & will stop playing completely in their dvd players.
Some have told me they have tried as many as 3 different dvd players with the same problem.
Not all have had this problem , but a few. For example I have sent 15 people a 6 dvd set of a seminar and had 3 people contact me with the problem of the disc not playing all the way thru or skipping.
Maybe its not the disc , but I don't know what else to think???
Open to any suggestions.
Thanks,Sylvia

Reaction score
Sony is the best brand of DVD. I always use Sony disks for watching movies and for downloading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it is working for 12/15, the problem sounds like it is on the other 3 users end. Maybe they need to look at their DVD players. Try and copy on to another brand of disc and see if their problems continue.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Harry. I have had the best luck with Verbatim also. What speed are you burning at? That can make a difference especially with some older SetTop DVD players. Try burning at a slower speed.

I have had the most issues with Memorex here. Burns never completing leave alone playing. Of everything I have tried Verbatim has been the best overall with both Macs and Windows machines here.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I like Verbatim, TDK, Maxell and Imation. Like dtravis7 suggested use a slower burn speed. I also tend to use DVD-R, which work in most of the DVD player I have run into.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I like Verbatim, TDK, Maxell and Imation. Like dtravis7 suggested use a slower burn speed. I also tend to use DVD-R, which work in most of the DVD player I have run into.

RMan brought up another excellent point I tend to forget about. Some older DVD players also have issued with +R (if I remember correctly) DVD's but work better with -R media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
That's because the -r specification is from the DVD consortium/DVD Forum which is the group that set down the standards for DVD medium. +Rr was from a grouping of companies that pretty much went against the Forum (I think it had something to do with licensing issues if I recall correctly) and wasn't accepted as a standardized DVD format by the Forum until like '07 or '08.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I'll start by saying that you are putting yourself in a no win situation. When you start burning disks for other people you have to realize that in any group of people you will find people with DVD players that range from top of the line to some old piece of crap they bought from a garage sale. Not all DVD players are alike. What plays in 1 may not play in another.

That said there are some things you can do to increase the odds of the DVDs working. Start by using -r disks... they were the first standard so the odds of them working in any range of DVD players your customers have should be slightly higher... especially since most DVD players that play +r also play -r but not all -r will play +r.

Next, I would suggest you get a external burner and not rely on the mac book pros internal burner. While the MBP burner may work fine I've also found that when I burn the same thing using the same brand of disk that I can sometimes get coaster from the Mac's internal drive (though they often still work on the Mac's drive they just don't work on the home player)...

As for brands, as long as you stick with named brands you should be okay. But never assume the named brands are 100%, I once had a 50 disk pack and after 4 coasters started looking at them closely and found that each one was defective.

Lastly, it might not be the most popular thing to say, but I tend to get more consistent results using Nero in windows than I do with any burning program for the Mac OS.

Reaction score
Taiyo Yuden produce the fewest coasters for me and their shelf life is great once burned. I have Sony, Memorex and some other lower end disc that have become unreadable after a year or so. I finally went through and rewrote all the movies onto TY. Worth it for sure and I buy them at supermediastore.com for 100 was 38 bux or so (8x -R).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.