5 Very good reasons not to get a HP Slate (instead of an ipad)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
5 Very good reasons not to get a HP Slate (instead of an ipad)
Apple iPad Will Leave HP Slate in the Dust - PCWorld

And as a summary the 5 reasons are:

1. Windows 7 is NOT a operating system made for touch-based devices. Where as the ipad/iphone OS is.

2. It’s not lighter (or much smaller) than the iPad.

3. It’s not necessarily cheaper than Apple’s device.

4. Battery life is half that of the iPad.

5. HP does not have a solid stable of third-party applications for its device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
6. Most likely, it will lock up, a bunch.

7. You will need anti-virus protection.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The trouble with HP is that they seem to have an exceedingly short memory.

Tablet and slate style PCs have been tried so many times before. Each time, they fail because Windows and the applications made to run on standard PCs are simply not designed to run in this formfactor, period. Microsoft tried to rectify this with XP Tablet PC Edition. It could be made to work, but it was kludgy. They tried it again with Tablet PC Edition 2005, and again it failed for the same reason.

Windows 7 has multitouch built-in, but again, it's a general purpose OS running in a formfactor that doesn't suit it. It's a safe bet that it will fail once again.

I'm not going to forgive the iPad its shortcomings, but at least the OS and apps are specifically built to work in that formfactor and ONLY that formfactor. It also has the panache Apple typically applies to its products and a strong base of existing apps. I don't believe it's the kind of paradigm shift that so many pundits have made it out to be, but it certainly will be a very successful product. Windows 7-based tablets are not the answer. What I will be interested to see is the Courier device that Microsoft labs has been working on. If it's anything like the concepts MS has been demoing, THAT will be a huge hit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
The only reason I need, "It's a Window's based product".

Reaction score
The Most Compelling Reason of All

Instant on...you can't believe how much of a diff it makes. I've had Paddy (I'm Irish...and yes I've given my iPad a nickname) fornless than a week, and every day I find another reason why I am a genius for having one. BTW...video and Flash are not that big of a deal IF you realize what this device is for. It NOT to replace laptops...but it did replace my iPod...the Kindle I never bought...and is likely to replace MOST of my Blackberry Storm use. All I need now is a MiFi phone and I'm set.

Regards,

Big

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
Doesn't the slate have a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio? This would only make it useful in landscape mode since you wouldn't get a truly useful vertically. They really haven't thought it out at all this time. Oh and also it runs windows etc etc ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
6. Most likely, it will lock up, a bunch.

Welcome to 2010. You must not have used a windows device in the last 10 years or so. MS has really cleaned up their act. You can like Apple products
without unnecessarily bashing MS.

Frankly, I think the big competition is going to come from android based devices later this year. A tablet running a full version OS is going to be for a different demographic, imo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
The trouble with HP is that they seem to have an exceedingly short memory.

Tablet and slate style PCs have been tried so many times before. Each time, they fail because Windows and the applications made to run on standard PCs are simply not designed to run in this formfactor, period. Microsoft tried to rectify this with XP Tablet PC Edition. It could be made to work, but it was kludgy. They tried it again with Tablet PC Edition 2005, and again it failed for the same reason.

Windows 7 has multitouch built-in, but again, it's a general purpose OS running in a formfactor that doesn't suit it. It's a safe bet that it will fail once again.

I'm not going to forgive the iPad its shortcomings, but at least the OS and apps are specifically built to work in that formfactor and ONLY that formfactor. It also has the panache Apple typically applies to its products and a strong base of existing apps. I don't believe it's the kind of paradigm shift that so many pundits have made it out to be, but it certainly will be a very successful product. Windows 7-based tablets are not the answer. What I will be interested to see is the Courier device that Microsoft labs has been working on. If it's anything like the concepts MS has been demoing, THAT will be a huge hit.

Tablets have not particularly "failed", it's just that it's been a niche market. They have been made and are continuing to be made long before the iPad ever came out. I had one in the past, and the tablet enhancements MS introduced where very good and well thought out. But the convertible type (those that are a laptop with a swiveling pen based screen) where the most used-- so when you were using apps that weren't particularly pen friendly, you could switch it around and use it like an ordinary laptop. Also, for not taking and that like, I'd say the the MS OS tablets have the iPad beaten by far. Mine was great for taking notes in class. Onenote is an excellent program.

I think you're wrong to compare the iPad with tablet PCs, because they are made for different markets.

Reaction score
HP Slate is much better than the Ipad

OK first off id like you all to look at this.
YouTube - Asus Eee PC running Rome Total War
this shows a netbook with lower specs than the HP Slate running a game smoothly.
HP has done very well in ironing out any touch problems windows 7 might have.
We have more power more ram.
ITS SMALLLER FACT are screen size is smaller in accordance to HDMI so when u plug it in to watch 1080p video say on a flat screen it does not look squashed.
Next of all the 64 gbs version ITS CHEAPER ABOUT $100 less. Also thanks to its SD card support I can get some were short of 200 GBS on space that’s not including USBs n stuff. Ok
And your haven not done your home work but with similar specs to a netbook we all know what software to use and not to use.
Aside from that the battery life is not so much of an issue when I look at the advantages of the HP slate.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Battery life is everything when you talk about a touch product. People want to be able to use their products for a while when on the go. if you don't care about battery life, get a desktop computer.

And
And your haven not done your home work but with similar specs to a netbook we all know what software to use and not to use.
Should I be forced to choose what software I use? No. I should be able to use whatever I want. And there should be potions that work on whatever computer I use to do whatever I want to do.

Can I make a powerpoint presentation on the slate?
No.

Can I make an excel spreadsheet with a nice graph and picture on the slate?
No.

Do I have access to an a store with over 100 thousand quality apps, millions of songs, thousands of books, and more on the slate?
No?

So I have to compromise what I want to do if I get a slate. The slate should fit to my lifestyle. I should not have to change myself to fit the slate, which I would have to do if I bought a slate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Stop feeding the troll people ;)

Seriously though - I honestly don't see what the HP slate is doing that is so different than the years of windows tablet devices we've seen already.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tablets have not particularly "failed", it's just that it's been a niche market.

A very tiny niche market. So small, that most manufacturers that competed in it have dropped out.

They have been made and are continuing to be made long before the iPad ever came out. I had one in the past, and the tablet enhancements MS introduced where very good and well thought out. But the convertible type (those that are a laptop with a swiveling pen based screen) where the most used-- so when you were using apps that weren't particularly pen friendly, you could switch it around and use it like an ordinary laptop. Also, for not taking and that like, I'd say the the MS OS tablets have the iPad beaten by far. Mine was great for taking notes in class. Onenote is an excellent program.

I'm not saying they're completely useless, but they're not exactly compelling either (hence their market penetration, or lack thereof). Heck, I have about 100 Acer and HP convertible tablets that I support and I can't even get my users to use them in tablet mode.

I think you're wrong to compare the iPad with tablet PCs, because they are made for different markets.

To me, the HP Slate is just another Tablet PC, and clearly it's targeted squarely at the iPad and vice versa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
A very tiny niche market. So small, that most manufacturers that competed in it have dropped out.

I'm not saying they're completely useless, but they're not exactly compelling either (hence their market penetration, or lack thereof). Heck, I have about 100 Acer and HP convertible tablets that I support and I can't even get my users to use them in tablet mode.

To me, the HP Slate is just another Tablet PC, and clearly it's targeted squarely at the iPad and vice versa.

I was under the impression that tablets were really only used in commercial and medical, e.g. Walked into a 7-11 the other night the employee is doing inventory/ordering with what appears to be a MS based tablet. E.G. #2 my DR uses a tablet for medical records and prescriptions.

I think the problem with any P.C. Based tablet is the same problem Nokia had with the Nokia N97 it was a OS that wasn't designed for touch screens unlike iPhone/iPad/Android OS which are designed around touch.

If there is Going to be a successful tablet outside of the iPad ,it will be Android .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Maybe they updated the blue screen of death lol

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was under the impression that tablets were really only used in commercial and medical, e.g. Walked into a 7-11 the other night the employee is doing inventory/ordering with what appears to be a MS based tablet. E.G. #2 my DR uses a tablet for medical records and prescriptions.

That's where I've seen the majority of penetration. Mine are used by mobile nurses who visit hospitals. But as much as pen computing could benefit them, it's just not intuitive enough for my nurses who are technophobes. So, it ends up getting used as a notebook. We have Acer and HP tablets, and they get collectively referred to as "Acers" and when they say the name, it carries a certain negative tone around the office... kind of like "ugh, my ACER is having issues again".

I think the problem with any P.C. Based tablet is the same problem Nokia had with the Nokia N97 it was a OS that wasn't designed for touch screens unlike iPhone/iPad/Android OS which are designed around touch.

If there is Going to be a successful tablet outside of the iPad ,it will be Android .

Agreed. Clearly though, HP doesn't see it this way (which was my point in this post) as the HP Slate has the same design queues and is being positioned against the iPad, when really it's just another iteration of the typical Tablet PC design, but this time with a multi-touch interface.

Reaction score
The battery life of the iPad is really it's only selling point. The HP Slate has a webcam and more memory capabilities. Overall it's a pretty similar product, it just depends on your needs. The majority of the reasons listed to choose an iPad over the Slate is just Apple snobbery. Get over yourselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
The battery life of the iPad is really it's only selling point. The HP Slate has a webcam and more memory capabilities. Overall it's a pretty similar product, it just depends on your needs. The majority of the reasons listed to choose an iPad over the Slate is just Apple snobbery. Get over yourselves.

Fail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.