Basic Questions

M

Mrclean

Today is my third day with my mac. On the bottom of the screen at the desktop (The area with all the program buttons) there are too many! It seems too cluttered, how do I get rid of these "shortcuts". Also how do a defragment my disk and delete some of the stuff that apple had the ibook come with?

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

1)just drag them out of the dock....

2) If must get rid of things thenu can just simply drag them to the trash.
i would suggest deleteing to musch tho... u never know if u might want to use the program.

3) U dont "defrag" ur disk any more.... you "repair permissions" in order to do this u go to the aplication//utilites/disk utilites/repair permission i suggest doing this every 2 weeks or after any major instalation ( or any time ur computer acts weird)

OP
G

gtee

Mrclean said:
Today is my third day with my mac. On the bottom of the screen at the desktop (The area with all the program buttons) there are too many! It seems too cluttered, how do I get rid of these "shortcuts". Also how do a defragment my disk and delete some of the stuff that apple had the ibook come with?

That's the Dock - just drag the icons into the Trash. It is not required to defrag a Mac - due to it being a Unix based system [I think]. There is a great freeware app - Onyx - which is an excellent tool for maintaining your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.