Issue with Mac Office 2008 equations

Reaction score
I'm writing my MS thesis using Mac Office 2008 12.2.4. I am inserting many equations using the Mathtype that they integrated into Office. Whenever I reopen my file the day after closing it, at least one of my equations is replaced by that lovely red X, and I have to retype it. This is really getting on my nerves. I tried saving the equations as pictures, but they just don't turn out as sharp that way.

Ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Equations are inserted and saved as "objects". There should be no problem with saving them unless this is a bug. I routinely insert and save objects in Word 2008 with no problem, however, I don't have a need for equations. I see no reason why they would not save. The red X you're getting is the symbol that shows up when an object or picture can not be found.

How are you saving your documents? Are you using compatibility mode or the newer XML? (docx) Whichever way you're doing the save, experiment with doing it the other way. If you still can't figure this out, you might want to ask one of the MS Mac Office experts that hang out in the Mactopia forums.

Here's the LINK to the Word forum.

Let us know.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.