My new USB Card Reader dont mount.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just bought a new card reader (Crypto UR-160).

The problem is that it just does not mount in order to have access in the data of my memory cards.

I have an iMac late 07 with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 with all available updates.

The first think I did was to check to all available usb ports, both in keyboard and in main unit/screen.
Then to change cable.

I've checked in system profiler-> USB and I can see that the card reader is recognised and this is the info I get:
Mass Storage Device:

Product ID: 0x6364
Vendor ID: 0x058f (Alcor Micro, Corp.)
Version: 1.00
Serial Number: 058F63646476
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Generic
Location ID: 0xfd100000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 250

Of course except that information nothing else happens (no mount and not any other message when connected/disconnected)

I've tried to see if I can 'see' it in my Win XP via VMware.
The card reader is recognised and I can see the data withing the memory card, however it works erratically as every few seconds (10-20'') is re-installed. So that means that for any reason is continuously connects and disconnects.

Then I've tried to see if it works in a normal Windows pc. It works fine with no problem.

I return it to the shop I bought it.
There we have connected it with a MB with 10.5.something and works fine
We connect it also to an iMac with 10.6.2 and works fine.

In my iMac does not :(

I've never had this kind of problem in the past.

I have already 2 more card readers that work fine.
I've just bought the new one for the additional card options and for the microSD that the others dont have.
Also several USB memory sticks has connected in the past in my iMac with no problem.

Is there any idea why I have this problem and how can I solve it?

Some additional info:
I cannot see any of the attached cards in disk utility (I've used two different types of memory cards).

Once more the crucial (I believe question). Why I can see it in System Profile but is not mounted?

Thanks in advance.

Tassos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
First of all, how is it formatted? I'd be surprised if it worked on one Mac and not another, but you never know...

This is a huge long shot, there's a slight possibility that you have a hardware issue. My old MB had a bad logic board, and it stopped recognizing my iPods a few months before I noticed anything else.

Other than that, I've got no idea what your problem might be. Good luck with that...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.