Playing Small CD's on iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
Can an iMac G5 play small Cd's? I have one, but I'm scared that it might get stuck. Can someone explain to me how the SuperDrive works? Attached is an example of a mini CD.

80mmtrimclr.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You can't use non-standard CD's in a slot loading drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
If someone would make an adapter like they had for 45 records they would make tons of money. There has to be a way!!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
fyrman22 said:
If someone would make an adapter like they had for 45 records they would make tons of money. There has to be a way!!

What's 45 records?

C

ciaran.mooney

What's 45 records?

Jese, has technology changed that much?

Remember vinyl records? They used to come in 33rpm and 45rpm. 45rpm is the smaller if I remember (I'm 18, so its still out of my lifetime. :D But the oldies are goodies).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
ciaran.mooney said:
Jese, has technology changed that much?

Remember vinyl records? They used to come in 33rpm and 45rpm. 45rpm is the smaller if I remember (I'm 18, so its still out of my lifetime. :D But the oldies are goodies).

Knowing that at your age is pretty impressive... :cool:

C

ciaran.mooney

Grew up with a huge Hi-Fi that my dad owned. Though he owns some of the crappest LP's I've ever seen.

Just sent the deck to get repaired though. Have 4 LP's I bought from a Car Boot sale. Marillion - Misplaced Childhood, Pink Floyd - Another Hole In The Wall and Wish You Where Here, and Deep Purple - Stormbringer! All in perfect condition £10 (about $18). Bargain!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac / 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB RAM / 750 GB Int HDD / 250 GB Ext HDD / 40 GB Ext HDD
Vinyl Speeds

If I remember correctly, there used to be four (approximate) speeds that various turntables had used: 16, 33, 45 & 78. What are known as '45s' were typically, but not necessarily, about 7 inch diameter discs. I'm sure there were 10 or 12 inch discs out there at some point as well. The only 33s I ever saw were 12 inch discs, but I've heard about 10s. I've never seen a disc that was recorded at the 16 RPM speed, but I have used a turntable that had that speed setting. It's funny to listen to a 78 on 16 speed, but even funnier to listen to a 33 on 78 speed; it's like Alvin & The Chipmunks. I'm guessing the speeds were determined by the need for a manufacturing standard, so once the manufacturing of the hardware was generally standardized, the mathematical relationship of one speed to another (16 X 2 = 32 [which is pretty close to 33]; 33 + 16 = 49 [which is not far from 45]; and 45 +33 = 78 [which is, of course, exact]) was probably a function of, through switching, applying four different voltages to the drive motor to get the different speeds. I'm guessing that the 16 speed was created to get a longer recording on a smaller disc to save on the cost of recording materials. The faster speeds were probably implemented to improve the sound quality by approximating a higher audio 'resolution' of sorts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I don't know if this will work or not, but I remember someone actually putting a 8 cm cd into round thing slot holder thing. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it. But I can picture it in my head perfectly. It was metal, thin, 12 cm and round. And when you put the cd into it, you could use it on slot loading drives.

Well that's what I remember about it. I don't know if something similar is at all available or if it'll work on the imac.

And something a little off topic. Would it be worthwile for apple to do the wii thing and design their drives to be able to read both sizes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Buy an external drive for your mac if you need to do this much. They are cheap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.