Airport Express Bonjour printing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D
I decided to plug my hp photosmart printer into the usb slot on my APX to take advantage of the wireless printing feature. I have succesfully printed from MS Word, but when I try to print from Safari or iCal they crash. Has anyone had a similar experience or can offer any insight on the matter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
All my power pc Macs do this now after the new safari "update" except my intel iMac prints correctly. All of them have the new Safari 3.1.1 on them. I hate it. Camino and Firefox print fine as do all other non-apple apps. Its the Apple apps that crash. Its like they can't get their own software to work with their own hardware. Interestingly mine also crash when trying to do a print preview, or even a save to PDF via the print manager screen.

I know this was an OLD thread, but its happening again on all my Macs with the new safari and/or new updates. I also have HP photosmart printers.

Reaction score
A print job from my wife's laptop quit yesterday in the middle of printing over the network to our HP Deskjet 5940. This morning I tried to troubleshoot and neither her laptop nor my new iMac are even communicating with the printer at all. I was able to send a test print from the HP utility so I know the printer's working.

So I downloaded the current software from HP but it didn't help. Now though, I can't seem to configure or even see Bonjour, and I have no idea what to try next.

I also tried plugging the printer directly into the iMac and still couldn't print.

The odd thing is that the interrupted print job literally cut off in the middle of a line of text.

Reaction score
Update on printing problem

After downloading new drivers for our HP 5940 Deskjet to my iMac, I still couldn't print. However, merely by unplugging and replugging the Airport Express unit, printing was restored to the laptop, but because I installed new drivers on the iMac it needs to be re-configured.

In the install process for the HP drivers, it said to be sure to go to the Setup Assistant after installation to configure. But I can't find the Setup Assistant. I don't know if I'm looking for an HP component, or it's a system thing.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.