imac on ebay question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I can't find the awesome "what to watch out about Macs and ebay" guide that was written up and posted here so I'll ask this here. It's kind of a newbie question so here I go.

I saw a nice imac for a nice price on ebay. G5. So I asked is there any system discs to come with the mac when sold and the answer to me for that question was:

"Sorry No discs."

So knowing that should I just not bid on the imac even though it's a really good price? I know Macs sold with no discs are really bad news. But I could erase/degauss the HD and start again. I do have an official copy of 10.5. And can use the Disk utility on that to repair the HD if needed.

Or is just best to forget the good deal and say nah, as no discs is just a scam artist for a seller and try to find one with the discs?

C

chas_m

G5: dead technology. Not that they're not nice machines -- they are -- but there's no future for them and you're talking about a five year old machine now. I would assume the "nice price" you're talking about is in the $200 range?

Your Leopard disc won't have all the software that Mac came with, so yes he is scamming you out of at least $79 worth what you are paying for (iLife).

But yes, any used Mac should have its drive zeroed out before use. I wouldn't call someone selling the machine with no discs a "scam artist," but it's just not worth the extra hassle IMHO.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The mac would not be for me, but for a family relative. The person has used a COlour Classic and now a Power Mac (OS 9) for their needs and that has done everything they need. I'm only thinking about this because their Power Mac is slowly dying. So for what they use it for a G5 would be just fine.

And by nice price, if I bid I'll get it for around $100 Australian. Currently it is on a bid less then that. I will not bid over $150 for it.

Thanks for the information. I'll really consider it. I only have ilife from my imac system discs. Yep the old version. So the new Mac will not have ilife. Not that the person will ever use it but still it's a good point you made.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The other thing to keep in mind when buying a used computer is that some sellers will try to sell you extra software without the discs. This usually means that the software is illegal and they are ripping you off by charging you more on the computer.

Reaction score
The person has used a COlour Classic and now a Power Mac (OS 9) for their needs and that has done everything they need.

It would be like a rocket for them. All this stuff comes down to what your going to do with it. My Mom still uses a Blue iMac...all she does is word processing and reports. It works so why be be on the techno edge. Sometimes I post here with an 8600(G3). That Color Classic is a Hot little number...theres a CC collectors club.:)

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I see alot of Macs being sold without the discs.
Where do these discs go?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In some cases users either loose them or toss them. My thoughts anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.