• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Project Library/Event Library Question about IMovie

Reaction score
I am working on a video project and have highlight footage in my Project Library from footage in my Event Library. I now want to delete (empty to trash) some of the footage from the Event Library that I will not be using since I also have this footage on DVD's or memory cards.

My question is - if I delete the footage from the Event Library will it disappear from my Project Library?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Do not put footage that is being used in a project into the trash. Once your project loses access to it, the project has no way to reconnect to it later.

I don't have experience managing the trash. It isn't something I've had a great need for. There are a couple of ideas you should be able to use.

Each clip from an event that you have used in a project will have an orange bar on the lower part of the sub-clip you have used. If a clip doesn't have that bar, then it isn't being used and should be safe for deletion.

You can hi-lite pieces of clips (and whole clips) in events as rejects and then trash just the rejects. You do that be displaying only the rejects. A button appears that says 'Move Rejected to Trash'. This process might take a while because iMovie has to do some work of extracting only the rejected part of each clip and saving the non-rejected part of each clip involved. Also note that a reject hi-lite can cover a used hi-lite, so don't over do reject lengths.

If you have completed your project and done your final exports, then I think removing the project first will de-hilite clips in the events that were used. Now that the event clips would no longer be hi-lited, you'd know which ones are safe to remove.

If you are trying to recover space on your main startup drive, then there are ways to move your events and projects to another drive. The other drive will of course need to have plenty of space to hold the content.

OP
niseyware
Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you for your answer Xstep. I guess I should have waited for your answer before I tried to figure it out myself. I got frustrated and antsy and deleted a movie or two and voila - my clips turned gray. :( See my new post. I still see them there if I run my cursor over them but....they are not really there. Thanks though. Next time I will try to have more patience. Not my strong suit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.