Which OS works better with Bootcamp? Xp or 7?

Reaction score
The title pretty much explains it all. I'm using it to play a few games here and there. Which OS do you suggest?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you already have a compatible legal copy of Window XP SP2 or 3, I would install that rather than Windows 7. However, if you looking to purchase a copy of Windows to use with Boot Camp, get Windows 7 Home Premium rather than XP.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
If you already have a compatible legal copy of Window XP SP2 or 3, I would install that rather than Windows 7. However, if you looking to purchase a copy of Windows to use with Boot Camp, get Windows 7 Home Premium rather than XP.

Regards.

But I've heard that Windows Xp had fewer problems in Bootcamp than Windows 7.

I'm deciding on which Os to purchase: Windows xp Home or Windows 7 Home.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can find a copy of XP at a decent price and that's what you wish to install, go ahead and do it. XP will certainly have less problems with drivers and older hardware.

Remember though, you must use a copy of XP that is compatible with Boot Camp. Read the Boot Camp install instructions first: LINK

Also note that Windows 7 Home Premium includes 2 DVDs: 32 bit and 64 bit versions. I'm currently using Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and have had several pieces of older hardware that I could not find drivers for - but that Snow Leopard supported.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just keep in mind that Boot Camp is not a 'program that runs Windows'. So, it's not about what's compatible with Boot Camp as much as what will run well on your hardware.

You didn't mention exactly which Mac you have, so it's hard to make a recommendation. In general, XP is a solid choice, although it is a bit long in the tooth at this point and eventually MS will drop support (most importantly, security updates) and 7 tends to be a bit more resilient with its UAC scheme.

Additionally, 7 will be able to offer you DX10+ capability if your hardware supports it. XP is limited to DX9. That's something to consider if you're playing newer games.

OP
K
Reaction score
I bought a Windows 7 System Builders OEM 32bit version CD online. I currently have the most Recent MacBook Pro (Summer of 2009 model?) It has 4 gb memory and 250 hard drive space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Additionally, 7 will be able to offer you DX10+ capability if your hardware supports it. XP is limited to DX9. That's something to consider if you're playing newer games.

Kind of true... Microsofts official support is for Vista and above... But I was under the impression that someone with too much time on their hands had created code to allow directx 10 to run on XP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kind of true... Microsofts official support is for Vista and above... But I was under the impression that someone with too much time on their hands had created code to allow directx 10 to run on XP.

Yep, here it is. LINK

Can't guaranty how well it works though.... :Smirk:

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.