Installing a new OS on my power book g4

Reaction score
Hello

My current operating system is basically obsolete. I have a Power book g4 with the following specs:

CPU speed: 1.33 GHz
L2 Cache: 512 kb
Memory: 256 MB
Bus speed: 167 MHz
Boot Rom Version: 4.8.6f0

I am currently running Mac OS X 10.3.9, which is no longer compatible with many program updates.

I am curious for advice on upgrading to make it more compatible with current software. I'd rather make a large investment, and would like to install a system that will run with adequate speed on my current set up.

Any advice?

Thanks.
Ethan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Leopard OS X.5.8 is the last and fastest OS for your PB but upgrade the memory to at least 1GB. Leopard discs are available at auction sites and on this forum, however make sure you purchase only the black full retail install DVD, and not a silver grey model; specific disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It is also worth giving Apple a call, I believe they will still sell Leopard discs, but you have to call them.

Second hand leopard disks are going for inflated prices on ebay etc., so try Apple first

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.