MacBook Pro Computer Repair Concerns

Reaction score
Hi,

Last week my 15" MBP endured the dreaded Black Screen of Death... so i've booked it into be repaired at the Apple Store.

Two quick questions:

- Although they are just fitting a new logic board is this likely to mess up my hard disk/documents... does anyone have an experience to share?

- I have some cracked software on there... do you think I should delete before handing it to Apple!?!?O:) (I should clarify it's just one or two programmes and not an entire library!)

Any responses would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
1. As long as they aren't replacing the hard drive, your data should be just fine. However, the common advice is to back up whenever the computer leaves your sight, so it's probably a good idea.

2. As far as I know, the Apple guys aren't going to go digging around in your computer (unless they're real d-bags :p ) so you shouldn't be too worried. I'm no expert (a.k.a. not an Apple employee) but I'm pretty sure the most they will do is run a system check to make sure you're up and running before they give you the computer back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
Also, if you've got a password on your computer and automatic login is disabled, they won't be able to check up on your licenses. And honestly, they could probably care less unless they're Apple products. I've been instructed by Apple employees to pirate music before, so I don't think they're all that discerning of a bunch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.