Can't decide!!

Reaction score
Would like some help regarding my problem.

Cant decide between getting a Macbook or a Dell studio xps.

Plan to use my laptop mainly for surfing the net, watching movies, researching, etc.

I'd like to play the OCCASIONAL game. Not really that interested in playing the latest most high end 3D games but basically gaming once in awhile would be nice as I prob would not have time for it anyway. Not a hardcore gamer, no time for it as im studying to be a doc.

Also budgetary constraints leave me between a Macbook or Macbook Pro (13', 2.2Ghz, 4gb RAM, 320GB Hard drive).

The Dell would have an i5 processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive and a ATI Radeon 4670 1gb dedicated video card.

My main concerns are com crashes, lagging or long boot-ups (which other laptops are relatively famous for). Thats why im leaning towards the Mac, but the Dell offers me gaming possibilities, and hey, if i maintain my laptop properly chances are it wont be thaat bad right?.

In conclusion, will the Mac allow me to play the occasional mid-level game, maybe sometimes a relatively high end game? Or does its deficiency in this area make the Dell a much more reasonable choice? And does the lower processor speed for the Mac make it inferior to the Dell in terms of performance?

Explanations for your reasons would be helpful.

Thanks.

Josh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The things you need a computer for doesn't really put a lot of strain on the computers so either one will work for you but if you are looking for a good user experience then I say Mac will be the better choice. It sounds like you are not a hardcore gamer so a Mac will work for you. I also do light gaming on my MacBook Pro and if you need it you can install Windows on your Mac but you cannot do it on the Dell.

With a Mac you basically get two computers in one if you need it. Unless you are a hardcore gamer then a Mac will work for your needs. Many of the popular games are also available for Macs so most of the time there is no need to run Windows.

Reaction score
The things you need a computer for doesn't really put a lot of strain on the computers so either one will work for you but if you are looking for a good user experience then I say Mac will be the better choice. It sounds like you are not a hardcore gamer so a Mac will work for you. I also do light gaming on my MacBook Pro and if you need it you can install Windows on your Mac but you cannot do it on the Dell.

With a Mac you basically get two computers in one if you need it. Unless you are a hardcore gamer then a Mac will work for your needs. Many of the popular games are also available for Macs so most of the time there is no need to run Windows.

i heard that the macbook/pro/air is really complicated because with all the commands. but i think it easier. On the other hand the pc is much easier it just doesn't have thoose effects that mac does. if i were you , i would choose a pc if you want an easy and decent price. don't go for the i pad it might hav deffects because it's still new

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i heard that the macbook/pro/air is really complicated because with all the commands. but i think it easier. On the other hand the pc is much easier it just doesn't have thoose effects that mac does.
What commands and effects are you talking about? In other words what complications are you talking about?

OP
J
Reaction score

Thats what i was thinking too. But when you say light gaming, im assuming you mean that the majority of games out there (with the exception of the few high end ones) can be played on the 2.2ghz macbook pro? If so, then I guess the macbook pro would be the better choice.

Also in terms of performance, I wont have any lag, slow boot ups with the Macbook will i? will there be a substantial difference between the macbook pro and the dell?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats what i was thinking too. But when you say light gaming, im assuming you mean that the majority of games out there (with the exception of the few high end ones) can be played on the 2.2ghz macbook pro? If so, then I guess the macbook pro would be the better choice.
Well you should research the recommended specs needed for the games you are interested in. You can do that easily with a Google search or go to an internet store that sells games and it will list the specs needed. I have a faster computer than what you are getting and I don't play that many games so your needs might be different. Some games need a better graphics card or faster processor so you should research the games you are interested in.

Also the newer Apple MacBook Pros are rumored to be released soon which should have the i5 Intel processors so it should make your decision easier if you can wait.

Also in terms of performance, I wont have any lag, slow boot ups with the Macbook will i? will there be a substantial difference between the macbook pro and the dell?
All I can tell you is from my own experience. It normally takes me about 30 seconds to bootup and a few seconds to shut down. Sleep mode is near instant when sleeping and waking up. If you leave about 15% or so free on your hard drive then you shouldn't experience slow down of your hard drive. Mac OS doesn't like it when you fill up the hard drive. Macs require less maintenance than Windows from what I have experienced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
If you have some time before you need the laptop, wait at least until the end of April. The new MBP's should be released by then, and they will have the i5/i7's in them. And probably a better graphics card/cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
i heard that the macbook/pro/air is really complicated because with all the commands.

Hmmm Someone has been bending the truth there a little i think. A windows user maybe ??

TM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.