Citations in Word 2008

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am using Word 2008 for Mac. When I use the built-in citations system, Word will only allow me to either have the name and year in brackets in the text it self, i.e. (Mac-forum, 2008), or the full name of the work in the footnote. Is it possible to only have the name and year in the footnote?

Reaction score
Hi Christian,

I'v been going crazy about this for a couple of days, googling every possible footnote/citation/word for mac combination and finding nothing. If you find an answer please post it. Is it possible that for such a simple thing i have to turn on windows???

Best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You want it to allow you to provide less information than it is. And that's a problem? I could see a problem if it was not allowing you to provide as much information as you want to. Maybe it's using some type of standard. If you've ever used the APA Guide, you'll know just how extensive and picky citations can get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Hello all,

I am using Word 2008 for Mac. When I use the built-in citations system, Word will only allow me to either have the name and year in brackets in the text it self, i.e. (Mac-forum, 2008), or the full name of the work in the footnote. Is it possible to only have the name and year in the footnote?

You will have to explicitly write it yourself as the application is following MLA format, i.e. (Jobs, 2010) and standardized footnote notation. Once you create the footnote, just click it and type what you'd like.

Reaction score
You want it to allow you to provide less information than it is. And that's a problem? I could see a problem if it was not allowing you to provide as much information as you want to. Maybe it's using some type of standard. If you've ever used the APA Guide, you'll know just how extensive and picky citations can get.

It is a problem when you want an uniform citation style with disregard of the position of the citation + you want the citation manager to take care of it. Could be that APA requires full referencing in the footnote, but than the Windows version of MS Office got it wrong.

You will have to explicitly write it yourself as the application is following MLA format, i.e. (Jobs, 2010) and standardized footnote notation. Once you create the footnote, just click it and type what you'd like.

If this is the case than too bad. Maybe in the next version of Word.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.