Problem upgrading Firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.4.11
Hi,

I've been prompted to upgrade my current version of Firefox, which is 3.0.19.

After downloading the latest version, Firefox 3.6.3, I tried dragging the Firefox image into my applications folder as prompted, then got the message: "An older item named "Firefox" already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the new one you are moving?", so I then clicked on "Replace", but then I got another window stating, "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."

Can someone please suggest how I can get around this: update my Firefox (and maintain my current bookmarks)? I would greatly appreciate help with this. Thanks.

Cheers,
Gaby

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
While Firefox is open, go to Help>>Check For Updates. It should let you update Firefox from within the application and maybe circumvent that.

If that doesn't work, try going to the Applications folder, select Firefox and hit Command+I. Look under Sharing & Permissions, next to your login name it will probably say Read Only. Click the little lock on the bottom right, put in your password, then change the Privilege to Read & Write. Close the window and copy over the updated version of Firefox.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.4.11
Thank you 86Apex!:)

Your 1st suggestion worked well. So simple. Thank you!

Cheers,
Gaby

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
No problem, glad it worked. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.