Cant get OSX snow leopard instal disc to eject

Reaction score
I cant get snow leopard disc to eject or restart the computer from the old tiger running system.

I first tried to re-instal tiger 10.4.11 with a 10.4.8 disc (from my macbook pro)and it said it cant be installed on this computer. (imac)

I then tried installing snow leopard and got the same "cant be installed on this computer" message.

Since then iv only done a quick clean of the D drive (via the snow leopard disc) and now I cant get the disc out at all. It gives me no option to eject it and only gives me an option to restart the computer from the disc or through time machine, and not tiger (the original running system).

At this stage I only want to get the disc out and run the computer as it was.

But, I was thinking since I have a macbook pro running tiger 10.4.8 is there a way I can reinstal 10.4.8 from my macbook through time machine onto my descktop imac core 2 duo so that also runs a fresh copy of 10.4.8 and then I can update it to 10.4.11 via online download.

I dont know what to do but the purpose of the reinstal was to get my imac to detect my mobile internet usb stick it stopped detecting. I managed to get a full instal disc of snow leopard (not the update) and have the full instal disc from the Macbook Pro (10.4.8), im happy just to go back to the origanal Tiger if possible, but for now i really need this disc out so i can do some work on the imac.

If anyone can help that would be great.
Cheers, George

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
When you boot, hold down the mouse button right away. Should automatically eject the disc before trying to read anything from it. Although, by the "quick clean" part, you didn't mean that you wiped the drive did you? If you did, you don't have an OS to boot from and all the data has been erased. So for your sake, I hope you backed up first of all, and actually meant that you fixed permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
As for discs.... unless they are retail versions, you can only use discs intended for your computer.
Sounds like you got yourself into quite a mess, so as with 86Apex.... I hope you have a backup!

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I managed to get the disc out by holding the mouse button down, but like you guys said, I dont have any software to run the computer. It is flashing a folder with a question mark. As far as a backup, I thought that meant back up any files you need, that was done.

Is my only choice now to somehow find the exact disc for my computer ? This seems crazy, not something I expect from Mac.

I have a tiger 10.4.8 disc I got from the lap top but thats no help, can I use time machine off my macbook pro and instal it through the network option ?

Thank you

OP
B
Reaction score
My original running system installed was Tiger 10.4.11 (Bought off ebay and original disc got damaged)

This computer is NOT ancient, its an

imac 7.1
intel core 2 duo
2.4 GHz
1 GB RAM

I take it any imac (not macbook pro) Tiger 10.4 disc should work ? Then I can update it online to 10.4.11 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You can just spend $30 and get yourself retail snow leopard disc from Apple or Best Buy.

OP
B
Reaction score
You can just spend $30 and get yourself retail snow leopard disc from Apple or Best Buy.

I spent $37au (postage inculded) and got a full install off ebay, not just the upgrade. Unfortunitely it seems with mac you need the exact instal disc your computer came with. On the ebay sales page that I purchased snow leopard discs from says Tiger can be upgraded to snow leopard, but looking at that step by step guide I got off this site seems complicated and time consuming and fustrating. For me, it doesnt look like its easy enough and worth my time. Right now, patients I dont have for it, id rather pay someone else to do it.

On a positive side I found an old reply to a question I asked about a non complient disc and they say they are over stoked and most likely have the disc my computer needs. I gave them my computer specs and am just waiting for a reply. They also asked for my computers serial number, cant see why? I'll be asking them for a guarantee before I purchase off them, but it seems there is light. If they cant help, I guess i'll call apple care and see if they have replacement Tiger discs for imac 7.1.

Thanks for checking my post mate. Good to see an aussie on board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
If you got a retail version of Snow Leopard then it's not model specific, only the gray discs that come with your Mac are. It may very well be that the seller you got the disc from might be selling copies that have been somehow altered or are model specific. Just my guess.

I've never understood the point of buying from ebay when you can buy from Apple directly and know you're getting a legitimate product. I'm sure you could've scrounged up the extra A$2. And yes, that is a full install disc. Even though it's technically an "upgrade" it is a full install disc. Hopefully that clears up some of the confusion.

If I were you I'd ask to return the disc to the seller and get your money back, then buy from a reputable source.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Buy from Apple new full retail install Snow Leopard discs, not eBay as you seem to have been sent model specific silver grey install discs. These abound on eBay sold under many, many names.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.